Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

30 Oct 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
    Oncall is finally over and I'm happy that it is. The bed project is gone and waiting for the customer to apply the finish they want on the bed before I help them with the install of the bed. My mom is having major back surgery this week and I need to tend to that, so I'll be out of pocket until we are done at the hospital. If you happen to think good thoughts or pray, please do so for my youngest son, he has a job interview today and I really REALLY need him to get out of the house and work towards his own independence.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I have been doing mostly carpentry side work lately and made good progress on another deck remodel I have going on. Also roughed out some guitar encks and got them ready for glue up.

Got drawer fronts made up for a dresser I am rebuilding also.

Once I moved on mid-week from reinventing the small bedroom adjacent to my older daughter's bedroom into a study/living room for her to begin to "enjoy" what it might be like to live in an apartment of her own, I started in on framing out and enclosing the stairwell from my shop to the upper level storage space. I'd been making do with a curtain at the bottom of the stairs, well...pretty much since I created the shop in early 2000...and that was growing old. Given I'll hopefully be spending a LOT more time in the shop going forward now that I've retired from full time work, "it was time". I have a thread in Workshops about this and yesterday competed the "north" wall of the stairwell with both insulation and OSB sheathing. Remaining work includes insulation and sheathing the "south" wall of the stairwell, acquiring and installing the door at the top of the stairs and finishing the "north" wall at shop level inside the stairwell...that last piece will be fun because it involves carefully cutting out so that the wall panels fit around the stairs.

On Sunday, I also visited with some friends to discuss their kitchen project where I will be building the large surface for their island. We tentatively settled on straight-grained d-fir for a rustic look to contrast with their more modern kitchen design and there will be some open wall shelves made of the same material. The top will be a "farmhouse style" plank top, rather than a typical butcher block strip design and they prefer to eschew breadboard ends. I'll be inlaying some steel at the eating bar end as they prefer not to have to put any support under it, such as corbels. The exposure isn't too large, and with the thickness of the top, it should work out fine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Finished up a Shave Pony and posted to the Project Thread

Saturday was spent in airports... We disembarked from a Blues Cruise at 9:00. My fiance's flight left at 1:30 and my flight didn't take off until 4:40.

Yesterday was spent unpacking and doing laundry and cleaning. I did sneak out to the shop to turn on the power and while out there started making some extra shelves for some cabinets I made a while back.

teapots and peacocks and choking llamas

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    ...If you happen to think good thoughts or pray, please do so for my youngest son, he has a job interview today and I really REALLY need him to get out of the house and work towards his own independence.
    On the prayer list. (actually, since I read this hours ago)

Spent Saturday at an all-day woodturning demo by Michael Gibson. He taught us how he makes his wonderful teapots.

Sunday afternoon it was working with and on the llamas from the rescue operation I mentioned earlier. The maleness "modification" is healing nicely. The very old llama has another problem - too thin and teeth worn to nubs he needs a special diet. He was so hungry he wolfed down some llama chow too fast and choked on it, an occasional cause of death in llamas. The dry food can get caught in the esophagus far down the neck and in the rumen. Fortunately a llama expert was here helping and knew exactly what to do - she worked on him for over an hour and he is fine today. His food will need to be soaked in water and probably supplemented with a beet pulp mash.

llamas_rescued.jpg

I also got a bit of woodturning in, nearly finishing a Beads of Courage box I started at the Chattanooga demo the previous weekend.

I've also been looking forward all weekend to tomorrow's visit by a fellow SMCer from Australia! We is gonna play in the shop, ya'll!

And speaking of Peacocks () the older two of three babies are getting their top-knot feathers and this weekend I noticed the tiny, much younger chick has the first little feather bump on its head. (Maybe one has to raise peacocks to appreciate that!)

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 10-30-2017 at 1:25 PM. Reason: added photo

I've been working on a farmhouse table made from walnut and poplar. Almost ready for finish.

IMG_7254.jpgIMG_7436.jpg

Here's a link to the build: http://bloodsweatsawdust.com/2017/10...rmhouse-table/
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

Got out of hospital after eleven days (Pneumonia, second time this year.) Was scheduled to get out early AM, but doctor's son was in ER till 5:00 am, so she was late coming by. (A sick child needs it's mother.)

Wow...I hope you're feeling better, Bruce, and can find a way to avoid getting that nasty thing again!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Spent Friday digging a trench ( with a backhoe, getting too old to dig by hand) for some drain tile. Rained on Saturday so I replaced a garbage disposal. Sunday, still rainy so I replaced a resistor pack and heater fan on my 2000 Silverado.

Prayers for your son. I glued this together:
    20171031_160721.jpg