Thread: Steamer Trunk project - finish advice needed

Steamer Trunk project - finish advice needed

I’m in the process of building a streamer trunk, following a set of plans I obtained from Rockler. It’s made primarily from solid red oak and oak plywood. Looking for suggestions of what finish to use. The steamer trunk is bring made as a gift for my wife, who will use it to store knitting projects. I’m looking for a finish that will not impart any odor to its contents.

On the inside, if you choose to finish it, only use shellac or a water borne finish. Do NOT use any kind of oil based product like varnish on the inside. On the outside, you can use whatever finish you prefer or are equipped to apply. It can be the same as what you put on the inside, or something completely different.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim!

Jim is spot on. Cheers

Agree with previous if you want the wood to show. We used to have an old steamer trunk and the inside had something like wall paper on it. Might be more forgiving to fabrics.

AsJjim said, shellac is safe for the inside..Otherwise, you'll have a lingering odor issue..The outside, I agree, is your choice.
    Jerry