Thread: Updating an old laser with a new control board?

Updating an old laser with a new control board?

I've owned a Legend 32 70watt engraver for quite some time. It's a workhorse with only occasional minor issues, and I have no good reason to replace it, though I'll eventually have to have the laser module recharged. It's one worst headache is the extremely out of date software. I have to use an old, dedicated 32bit machine to send jobs from, and jobs sent from newer versions of CorelDraw often have bizarre, unexplainable problems when cutting.

Has anyone refurbished an old engraver with some sort of aftermarket control board? I've seen some on Ebay, but have no experience with them.

Thanks
    Epilog Legend 32 70W, Rotary, CDR X5, DCS 1324 Substrate Printer, various dye sub.

Sure you can. Are prepared for a rewire job and purchasing new stepper motor drivers, connecting and programing with a entire new controller board? How much electrical background do you have? At one time I was considering building a complete laser engraving machine. I have a pretty good experience in CNC and electrical controls. Found it was cheaper just to purchase as a first machine a Chinese model already pre-built.

But there are people on here using more or less the same setup as you are, older computer and older machine doing ok.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Yeah I realize there will be rewiring and recalibration of steppers, endstops, etc. I've built 3d printers, robotic manipulators, etc. Mostly I'm interested to know if there are any controllers available that have solid drivers and modern features worth having. I can do the research but thought this may be the place to find someone with experience.

Don't know if this is helpful, but SmoothieBoard and Lasersaur might be a place to start.

Thanks! Ill check those out

Me? if it's otherwise not broke, why go to all that hassle to fix it? I would just use an older version of Corel! --Which I DO, I use x3 and x4, and have no plans to ever upgrade from there!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Should your controller board give out, I would call Rabbit Laser to see if they have one or an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    Should your controller board give out, I would call Rabbit Laser to see if they have one or an upgrade.
    Well with the complete upgrade he could get it all from Ray and then have support when he needed it. The alternative control boards suggested will do gcode just fine but for the engraving and cutting functions needed and in a professional machine not a hobby setup the main line DSP controller system is needed.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    You can obtain a control system from rdworks that would be an upgrade, maybe, but it still is a Chinese controller.... A number of vendors out there.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I boiught an RDworks controller a few months ago- haven't installed it yet though, but Cloudlaser had it on ebay, and also on Aliexpress, for about $150 less than on Ebay for the same unit. The RDC6442G, from memory.
    Then you'll need drives, eg Leadshines, or others.
    There are complete driver and controller units on ebay also, for a couple of hundred $. Not sure of the quality though...
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

One small problem-- Harper has an RF/metal/western Epilog, and I don't think a DC/glass/eastern controller is going to retrofit very well...?
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

The RD / AWC and Leetros are all compatible with RF tubes Kev
    You did what !

Well that's good to know! I thought they were totally different animals. Still learning
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter