Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How old is your DW735?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    ...and the strong point is its relative light weight and affordability. One would not buy a truck and expect it to run ten years without repair, why would one expect that out of a tool?

Just playing devils advocate...
    I agree. I also own a DW735. Does what I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    ...and the strong point is its relative light weight and affordability. One would not buy a truck and expect it to run ten years without repair, why would one expect that out of a tool?

Just playing devils advocate...
    Mine has gone around 10 years without a repair. As good as the Dewalt 735 is (does just what I need as it was purchased also), I wouldn't quite put it in the same category as a truck anyway. It would probably be too expensive to repair if something went wrong. Most likely it would make more sense to buy a new one, which is why the question about whether it makes sense to upgrade to the Shelix head is even being discussed.

Just saying . . .

Mine is about a month old but I didn't use it until about a week ago. I have yet to give it a serious test but already it appears the knives have been nicked. But I bought it because I knew I would one day upgrade to the Shelix. That day may be sooner than I expected.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

If mine was new, given the availability of the Shelix head I would probably consider it also. It would be well worth it as I expect you would get 10 years out of the planer unless the Shelix head puts a much heavier strain on the motor. However, at about 10 years, the decision isn't clearcut anymore. When I bought mine, there really weren't as many alternatives as there are now.

Mine is maybe 8 years old, with fairly light use. Still on the original blades. Must have gotten it prior to that wave of bad blades a few years ago. If it goes bad, I will get another.

It replaced a floor model 15" Jet planer. I rarely get non dressed wood, and the Jet just wouldn't do final light cuts without leaving serrated lines on it from the rollers, so I sold it. The DeWalt is the right one for my use. I understand you can get some rubber rollers for the Jet, but I had never heard of that when I had it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    If mine was new, given the availability of the Shelix head I would probably consider it also. It would be well worth it as I expect you would get 10 years out of the planer unless the Shelix head puts a much heavier strain on the motor. However, at about 10 years, the decision isn't clearcut anymore. When I bought mine, there really weren't as many alternatives as there are now.
    Shelix style heads use less horsepower and smooth out the load. They reduce the stress on a machine. Cheers

Thanks for your thoughts. Life is full of risks and this is not a major one.

If getting a new or used planer, a larger floor model would make a lot of sense. With the current circumstances, it is a roll of the dice with some additional upside in my view. I get to try the Shelix technology for a moderate cost of the head at $375 from Holbren. It is also time to give the internals a good thorough cleaning.

I was checking the bed yesterday and it has a few scratches that may need polishing. The infeed and outfeed extensions are performing less than expected so we will see if they will hold adjustments after the new head is installed. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks again,
    David
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Got the head and installed it this afternoon. Ran a piece of knotty walnut through it and no sign of tearout anywhere on the surface. And the noise? It is a very welcome relief that the noise level is much lower. Wish I had sound level meter to measure the sound reduction.

Let's see what it does with the next 1000 bd-ft.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!