Thread: Any idea on age of this Baldor 15hp? No Tag

Any idea on age of this Baldor 15hp? No Tag

I was given this 15hp motor from my dad who got it from an eccentric guy who does a lot of milling and hoarding really. There's no nameplate on here, unless it's on the bottom that I can't see. I'm 99% sure there isn't a tag as we didn't see one taking it out of the truck.

Only tag was this yellow tag with a written note on the back that says it's a 15hp.

I need to know the total amps, wiring etc. Plan is to make this a rotary phase converter to power a 5hp powermatic planer. I need to know if my total power at the house can power this.

Any idea on total amps? I'm guessing 30 ish. Is it too old to use? I don't even know the wiring diagram and proper connections coming out of the motor, if that matters.

Can you find a spot on the motor where the metal plate has either been removed or painted over? Every motor is required to have a face plate when new. Three phase FLA should be in the 30-35 range meaning that you need 80-100 single phase amps to account for start up and energy losses. Baldor makes good motors. If the winding s check out and the bearings are good, it should run a long time. I have 75 year old motors that still run well, and have replaced 20 year old ones. Old motors can outlast new ones. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Can you find a spot on the motor where the metal plate has either been removed or painted over? Every motor is required to have a face plate when new. Three phase FLA should be in the 30-35 range meaning that you need 80-100 single phase amps to account for start up and energy losses. Baldor makes good motors. If the winding s check out and the bearings are good, it should run a long time. I have 75 year old motors that still run well, and have replaced 20 year old ones. Old motors can outlast new ones. Dave
    Ill check again for details. Pretty sure theres not tag anywhere. As for power, I only have a 100amp panel. I called PG&E to see if more power is available. Sometime's it's a matter of just changing the panel and the power is there. If more lines need to be run it's not worth it, Id probably swap a 5hp single phase in or try this VFD.