Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marriage Maintenance Question Re: Veritas Combination Plane

Marriage Maintenance Question Re: Veritas Combination Plane

Okay, I receive forgiveness from Her Highness on a frequent basis. But buying the Veritas Combination plane is a $400 assault on the old checking account. So before I throw away hard earned attaboys, let me ask the board:
    As I understand it, the Combination Plane (large Plow) will allow me to use it as a large plow (plough) plane and ALSO not buy a rabbet plane. Is that a safe assumption? Will it cut rabbets as well and conveniently as a dedicated rabbet plane? I do not want to be thrown into an attaboy ditch so deep that it will require super human effort to extricate myself. Mistuh Wabbit cannot fool Missus Wabbit very often.

Perhaps you should post this in the Neanderthal forum. Since you posted in the Power tool forum, I'd say that you can do the things that this plane will do with your power tools and save yourself the $400. I use power tools and never felt the need for a plane like that.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks, Mike!

I guess I didn't know what the Neanderthal forum was. Prolly cause I am one. I also have power tools able to do the job. I am however at my age eager to work in the quiet as much as possible.

Du-u-u-u-u-h !

Mike, I guess next you'll want me to actually READ the forum headings ! It saaaaays right up there "hand tools". I told you I was getting old.

Thanks for setting me straight.

After Posting This On the Wrong Board !

Can I reliably buy the Veritas Combination Plane and then NOT buy the rabbet plane? My wife will have very strong and urgent messages for me if I unload $400 on a combination plane and then whine about wanting a rabbet plane.

As I understand it, I can use the large plow plane as a plow plane and a rabbet. Correct?

Go for both. Report back later.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harvick View Post
    Can I reliably buy the Veritas Combination Plane and then NOT buy the rabbet plane? My wife will have very strong and urgent messages for me if I unload $400 on a combination plane and then whine about wanting a rabbet plane.
    As I understand it, I can use the large plow plane as a plow plane and a rabbet. Correct?
    You can certainly rabbet with a combination plane, though make sure to get an appropriately wide iron.

The main functional differences between the LV combo and the skew rabbet are:

• The rabbet has a skewed iron, which helps it to cut a somewhat cleaner "wall" and also makes it more tearout-resistant in some situations.
    • The rabbet has a full-width sole. For routine rabbeting in flat surfaces this isn't a huge deal, but it becomes important if you ever try to rabbet starting from an other-than-flat surface (this sometimes happens when cutting "guide rabbets" for moldings, for example).

Pat's got it all wrong though: You need *both* rabbets (LH + RH) and the combo.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-29-2017 at 2:00 PM.

That's a tough question since the combination plane in question has no real track record. Any answer is based hypothetical assumptions. The rabbet plane has a solid history to refer to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    That's a tough question since the combination plane in question has no real track record. Any answer is based hypothetical assumptions. The rabbet plane has a solid history to refer to.
    I have the combo plane in question as well as the skew rabbets and have used both a fair bit (I've even rabbeted with the combo), so I don't think the characterization of "hypothetical" is at all fair or reasonable. The fact that you don't know something doesn't make it unknown.

Also the LV combo is basically an updated 45, which is a VERY well-known quantity. We're not talking about a new class or pattern of plane here.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Brian and welcome to the cave by the Creek.

For many years my Stanley #45, combo plane, was my choice for making rabbets. Currently I am in California with internet by chance. But if you are in the Portland, Oregon area let my know if you would like to get together to give a combo plane a test drive.

The main thing to remember with a combo plane cutting rabbets is to have the movable skate set inside the edge of the work. The extra blade hangs out over the fence.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I would like to pass along information I received from my wife's attorney:

"To Pat and Patrick,

Thank you so much for recommending to Brian that he needs to buy 2-3 more additional planes. Strongly urge him to buy the shooting plane as well. There will be no need for him to buy a boat however. I am confident that his wife will employ me quickly if he does as you two have recommended. This should be a quick and easy paid year of college for my daughter."

Thanks guys ! :>)

Blog Entries
    Don't forget, there are many kinds of rabbet planes.

Old wood body models, Carriage maker rabbet planes (Stanley #10), Shoulder planes and don't forget side rabbet planes.

Maybe the lawyer can get two years of tuition.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Harvick View Post
    Du-u-u-u-u-h !

Mike, I guess next you'll want me to actually READ the forum headings ! It saaaaays right up there "hand tools". I told you I was getting old.

Thanks for setting me straight.
    Yes, a combo plane will cut rabbets. There's another almost identical thread on the neander forum right now (right down to the relationship-y parts), so you might want to TAL at that.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-29-2017 at 3:20 PM.

As an owner of the combo plane, I can tell you it will do what you wish, but perhaps not with as little setup as a dedicated rabbet plane. I can think of better ways to spend $400, but it sounds like I may get a bit more forgiveness than you, so I can take a few chances. Don't get me wrong, it is a good and well-made plane, but if this is your one $400 attaboy for the year, I would probably get something else.

It depends on what you want to do.

If you want to cut rabbets, then get a rabbet plane. If you want to cut rabbets and grooves and beads and reeds and T&G joints etc then get a combo plane (though if I were funding-constrained I'd consider a used #45).