Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 3520 Guard

Powermatic 3520 Guard

Hello.

I'm new to this group so pardon me if this question has been asked before.

I recently purchased a Powermatic 3520b and for the most part I'm really loving it. Initially, I thought that the guard was a pretty good idea until I tried to use the lathe for the first time. I found myself trying to focus through wires of the guard but had a difficult time. But I'm a stubborn cuss and figured it would take a few weeks to get used to it. No luck. I finally took it off and put it in a corner. Now I can see what I'm doing again, and can move my dust collection right up to my work.

I've noticed that none of the YouTube videos I've watched have the guard in place either. So, are there times that I really should use it?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Steve

When I saw Jimmy Clews demo he said take it off and use it for the barby. Mine is not attached to the lathe.

Manufacturers provide them so that when something flies off and hits you, you can not sue them because you removed the safety device they provided.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Agreed with what others have already posted...the guard is more a protection to Powermatic from being sued. You'd be far better off paying attention to good safety practices. Robo Hippy has an excellent video on YouTube about staying out the 'line of fire'.

I assume some educational institutions may require guards... along with other useless features such as, automatic shutoff for long idle periods or catch detection. A few manufacturers seem to provide guards whether wanted or not... Kind of like getting grits with your breakfast in the south...

Ely

Thank you, everyone. You have confirmed what I suspected. I will check out the 'line of fire' vid.

sh

I thought the guard was to protect you from lawyers! Using it is supposed to keep the lawyers away from you. I don't know anyone who uses it.

Cheers,
    David

Keep it around - don't throw it out unless you are only going to turn "good" wood. If you ever decide to turn large, wonky, punky, worm eaten, firewood, you might find you'd like to have it on there during the roughing out portion of the process...

I mostly turn junk wood so I keep it around. If you turn 10000 bowls, you will never use it on good wood or during the finishing or shaping cuts of a project but when hogging out the gross stuff, it might save your bacon.

The wire guard for my 3520b is up in the attic of my little barn still in the cardboard sleeve it was shipped in. How long have I had the lathe, 4 ~ 5 years ?

Thank you, Harold. I plan to keep it around. In fact, it had occurred to me that it would be useful when roughing larger work pieces.

I find it to be rather handy. I keep it on the lathe but open and hang my dust collector, light and a extension cord with multiple plugs on it. It works pretty good as a speed control when turning out of balance pieces. When it starts shaking I turn the speed down a bit.
    Fred

Guys. I love my guard. I won't even turn without it

You do know that you can lift it out of the way, right?
    Personally I use it all the time when roughing. Most times thereafter. It certainly has saved me from bark shards, large chunks flying and a host of other things that would have certainly hurt a lot. PROBABLY not requiring a trip to the ER. When the wood hits the guard, BAM! holy cow! I smile, and I can keep on turning happy as a clam.
    Now I know 3 people that use their guard. Thanks, Sam! Good luck to the rest of you.
    Oh yeah. AAW had posted an article that says if you paint your guard flat black, it helps to see through it. I painted mine. I have to agree.

Kyle beat me to the flat black trick. Works great. Think of it like the backstop at a baseball field. Silver chain link…very hard to look through, but black chain link, much easier.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

I use mine all the time. I don't understand why people think it's a conspiracy for it to be supplied, or their bragging about not using it. It's a safety device. It's like wearing a helmet on a motorcycle. You can choose to not use one and get by without it....most if the time.

RP