Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV Show Filmed at Lie-Nielsen Factory

TV Show Filmed at Lie-Nielsen Factory

I haven't posted in a long time, but I felt like I should return to let people know about something they might find interesting. I've been watching a reality show called "Titans of CNC," which is about an ex-con who owns a CNC machine shop. He spent a large part of one episode at the Lie-Nielsen factory, talking to the owner. Interesting stuff, if you're a machinist OR woodworker.

The show is kind of obscure, but DirecTV has it.

Incidentally, if anyone wants several tons of free live oak trunks, I'm the man to talk to. Irma did a number on my farm. All you have to do is cut it and take it. Somehow I don't think I'll get any takers. Too bad it's not walnut!

Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-27-2017 at 8:38 PM. Reason: Added Video
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

I would love to have some Live oak trunks but I'm 2000 miles away.
    Out west here we have lots of live oaks in fact my shop sits under the canopy of a live oak.
    I've had to beg tree services to call me when they remove one. Somehow I cannot get thru that I don't want fire wood.
    Anyways live oak makes very good wooden plane body's if your interested the fibers are very sticky to the iron.
    Thanks for the Ln heads up.
    Aj

Very interesting and I would like to watch. Can you tell me the episode number. I believe some are also on YouTube.

Who needs an episode number when you have google?
    Search for “titans of cnc lie nielsen” and it’ll be the first hit.

Thanks for posting.

Yup, plug those search terms in at You Tube, it'll pop right up.

I watched it earlier and it was a good show, the host leaves a bit to be desired but it was cool seeing the inner workings of LN.

I am so sorry for asking the episode number. Silly of me not to Google it like you suggested. I just googled the name of the show and got an episode list.

For anyone else....Season 1 Episode 13 and available on YouTube.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 10-27-2017 at 7:27 PM.

Great video. Amazing to see new tech tools making old tech tools.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Steve, what town you in down there ?

Blog Entries
    Thanks fr the link. Great video.
    NOW you tell me...

The cognitive dissonance associated with using fully automated CNC mills to produce specialty hand tools is pretty stark. Woodworkers should master joinery with multi-hundred $ hand held tools, but metalworkers go computerized to make those hand tools, right? So where does Lie-Nielsen really stand on the value of hand craftsmanship?

How far back in technology would you like him to go? Fully automated CNC mills is an oxymoron. They need to be programmed, parts need to be fixtured properly, the right tools need to be used (in the proper order). Only then can the motors do their work moving the relative pieces. LN still has to compete selling a product that many others can and do make, Vertas to name one. And, you should be aware that they use high tech machinery as well. If these makers did everything the ‘traditional’ way we could not afford to buy what they made and those products would be scarce.

The tool representing hand craftsmanship for the toolmaker was a file. A lot slower than a rasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    The cognitive dissonance associated with using fully automated CNC mills to produce specialty hand tools is pretty stark. Woodworkers should master joinery with multi-hundred $ hand held tools, but metalworkers go computerized to make those hand tools, right? So where does Lie-Nielsen really stand on the value of hand craftsmanship?
    Clearly, you haven't been to the South Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center when AWFS is in town. Catering to "woodworkers", the South Hall is filled with CNC machinery the size of a room, or a house. I've joked that you could throw a tree in one end and a full set of kitchen cabinets would pop out the other end.

Given the capital cost of equipment to make handplanes in quantities that number higher than the "dozens per year", combined with the quality demands of their market, the only cognitive dissonance is thinking that L-N could do what they do at the price they do it at without using CNC mills.

Plenty of metalworkers/machinists still do without CNC. The vast majority of them are hobbyists. And unless they're buying old iron/old iron teeth, their tooling and often their machines are made using... wait for it.... CNC.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Greg and John,

I'm well aware what modern CNC and factory automation can do - I can go down to the engineering department at work and see it in action, if I want. For Greg, who thinks "fully automated" doesn't exist, take a look at this - the human in that line is reduced to carrying parts in a bucket, the rest having been fully automated by any definition. It's not (yet) worth it for Lie Nielsen's batch runs of a couple hundred planes of one model, but there is nothing technical preventing it.

My only point was that there is a mental disconnect in making tools for hand work using increasing automated machine tools. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it gives one pause and food for thought about the value of hand craftsmanship if the best hand tools you can buy are made by machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Its the love of a finely crafted piece I strive for. A machine is just another tool in the bucket, while automated to some extent, it still required the input of a skilled machinist and woodworker to complete the hand tools you see being crafted in the video. Its the love of craftsmanship you see here, not the hum drum plodding of someone making a buck an hour pitching out as many pieces as they can a day.

If you want a purely hand made tool, go look up pricing on Mr Carter's infill planes and the like. They are pieces of art and priced like them too!