Thread: Dust collector bin. Does it matter if it’s square or round?

Dust collector bin. Does it matter if it’s square or round?

I’m upgrading my 2 hp grizzly dust collector with a dust deputy and a cartridge filter. Does is matter if I use a round container like a barrel or can I simply use a square container. I know everyone uses round containers but is it because barrels/drums/large round garbage cans are easy to come by or is there any “science” behind it?
    I want to build or buy something slimmer and taller so the container still has the equivalent cubic space to a 30-55 gallon barrel. The reason for this is simply to have a smaller footprint. I don’t think a square shape would have an adverse affect since the cyclone action is happening in the dust deputy before the particles drop in the container.
    Is there a problem with my idea?

all the bin has to be is air-tight. if your bin leaks you will get upward flow in the cyclone that will carry over fines to your filter.

shape is not significant - just make sure you have an easy way to empty the bin and seal it back up - other than that make whatever shape fits your shop & dc configuration

Mine's square, makes it easy to shovel out with a coal/snow shovel.

A powerful dust collector makes a good bit of suction on the bin. I understand the shape of the bin doesn't matter much as long as the sides are strong enough to support the suctions.

The first bin I tried to use on my 5hp DC was a 30 gal galvanized trash can. The suction caved in the side immediately with a loud noise! I switched to an older can from the same manufacturer made from slightly heavier gauge steel and it is fine. I've never seen a dust deputy but suction from other cyclones creates a decreased pressure inside everywhere below the impeller, including inside the bin. If the bin is not sealed properly the suction will pull air in and the dust may be blown into the filters instead of falling into the bin.

The only science behind a round container is that curved walls will support more pressure than flat walls. (A perfect sphere is the strongest.) A large flat side wall on a bin could bow inwards and maybe even fail if it wasn't made strong enough. I don't remember how to calculate how strong is strong enough so I'd have to just make one and test it! (assuming the bin would be shop made and not purchased.) I suppose you could calculate or measure the pressure per square inch and the total pressure then pile weight on a side panel, reinforcing if needed.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Nice setup!

It looks like I could get away with a plywood box and not worry about it colapsing but I understand how a round container assuming the material is strong enough would resist a bit more pressure. I do have a small shop vac with a dust deputy connected to a 5 gallon bucket. I had to add a plywood ring inside because it would collapse.

If they need to get emptied ... which tends to be often, light and durable is nice.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius