Thread: Thoughts on hand tool use

Blog Entries

Thoughts on hand tool use

I lurk but haven’t posted much recently. This is an odd post but I think this is the most relevant forum although the thoughts are tangential, but perhaps relevant to the “Mistakes” thread.

Anyway, I help my wife behind the scenes as she teaches Silversmithing. As she made Sugru handles for some files, we discussed using a belt grinder in the brand new Steel Stamp Making class she is teaching tomorrow. I cautioned her to warn her students not to be tempted to flatten the face on the belt, lest they dubb it. We shared an appreciation of not allowing power tools in beginners classes until they had demonstrated they could do it by hand.

I lobby for it this way, “Make mistakes slower with hand tools.”

We all learn from making mistakes. Embracing how you prevent or remediate these mistakes allows for mastery of a craft or technique.

I find when learning a new technique / art, working, more slowly an methodically allows me time to think, consider and ensure I have things measured, square, and prepared. I try to avoid mistakes that way. Additionally, when I do make a mistake, it is generally smaller. Additionally, I think it is generally safer, though I have cut myself with most of my hand tools at one time or another - saws, planes, and chisels.

41339F75-B91C-4AE9-B30A-351F46267C5C.jpg
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    We shared an appreciation of not allowing power tools in beginners classes until they had demonstrated they could do it by hand.
    Hopefully they have also demonstrated a knowledge of safe practices.

I lobby for it this way, “Make mistakes slower with hand tools.”
    When people ask me, "why hand tools," that is one of my answers.

Using hand tools furnishes me serenity and an enjoyable pastime power tools would drown out with noise and dust.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There is a Zen of hand tool work that is difficult to express in words. Richard Pirsig touches on this in his book, Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance. Pirsig says,
    So the thing to do when working on a motorcycle, as in any other task, is to cultivate the peace of mind which does not separate one’s self from one’s [actions]. When that is done successfully then everything else follows naturally. Peace of mind produces . . . work which will be a material reflection for others to see of the serenity at the center of it all.
    I substituted "actions" for Persig's word, "surroundings".

I often use power tools. I am an eclectic woodworker. I know that hand tool work focuses on myself in relation to the work. Power tool work focuses (often) on the machine and seldom on the self or the work. Also, the noise and danger that Jim mentioned keeps us distracted and disturbed. Not just galoots. It keeps everybody distracted and disturbed. It's like having a tiger loose in your shop. You have to keep at least one eye on the tiger. With hand tools you focus on the work and yourself.

Although I did not learn woodworking in the order that Shawn prescribes (hand tool then power tool), I have found that I can re-learn to use power tools more effectively if I think of the operation the way I would if I were going to do it by hand. The short way to put this is that I mark out the work instead of the machine.

Nice thread, Shawn & Jim

Doug

Hi Shawn! Glad go see you're still following SMC! I miss reading your insights.

I agree with the point that you make mistakes slower. (By slower, I mean that I waste less material before I realize "oh crap, it's sized wrong." ) Also agree with Jim's point about serenity.

But I also love the feel of using my hand tools - it's fairly tactile - and the pride in my slowly increasing ability to use them well. Another big draw is the additional flexibility that comes from knowing how to use a plane, a chisel or a spokeshave. I can tune and correct much more easily.

Just my thoughts on yours. Hope you're feeling better.
    Fred

[Edit: Looks like Doug and I had posts that crossed in the ether. Doug, you said it way better than I did.]
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-22-2017 at 4:20 PM.

5. A real pleasure is discovering the things that hand tools do better faster and easier than power tools.

At first I felt a sense of pride when I could do something with hand tools. I fell too much in love with them for the past couple years, using manual methods at times when power methods were really better for my time, elbow, and back. Now, I feel a sense of pride when I accomplish something efficiently. I like being able to do things by hand but only when it's the best technique for the job. I appreciate the Zen of working by hand. But I get the same feeling when I use a router with a smartly crafted jig.

I feel most accomplished when there is no wasted motion.

I grew up in a family that loves power boats. I've been a sailboat guy all my memory. And just love being on the water.

I love every bit of hand tool work. And sometimes the same thrill of 'wow' when using my bandsaw to resaw something in 5 minutes that would take me a weekend by hand. In the same way that a fast boat ride is a bunch of fun. On occasion. Tickles different parts of the brain.

Good thread and good to hear from you Shawn. Enjoy the water

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

The way I see it, tools are simply a means to an end. I get no more or less satisfaction from the tool I use for the task whether it be a machine or hand tool (I like all my tools). What I'm looking for is the result and if the result is satisfying then I could care less the method. I don't look for reasons to use a particular tool. What I look for is the best way for me to solve a problem, ie: sliding dovetail = use a router; joint an edge = use a hand plane; rip and cross-cut sheet stock or lumber = table saw; trim cut and or cut small parts at bench = hand saw; drill a hole = cordless drill. What I get the most satisfaction from is seeing the plan come together whether it requires hand or power tools.

Work, hand or tailed, may follow quite a number of paradigms for quality, safety, ease and/or speed of build, etc.

1. I've been known to indulge myself in magical thinking during shop time. However, sooner or later, no matter how many unicorns dance and prance around my castle in the sky, it becomes time to sort things out. A proof of concept construction can inform in a variety of ways, and if it's sole purpose is to test a conception, it may be crude, fast built with lousy materials. If the core concept is effective, it's time for serious planning and design and building a prototype may be in order.

2. For simple things, shop tools and building designs I've stolen from Derek's web site, a design I've built before, and other fully developed designs and things, I may not feel the need for a prototype. But for original designs of complexity and/or subtility, a prototype allows testing of all aspects of the build and can be a very great help in avoiding issues. While it may be built in poplar and/or BORG plywood rather than fine, expensive hardwoods, I do build as accurately to the design as I can. With my level of experience, I may use tailed tools to speed up some aspects of protyping when I will use hand tool work in the final build. The less experienced may benefit from the practice of using the hand tool operations as they will be used in the final. As errors arise, however, some may not be corrected, but they are noted for avoidance later when the final piece is being built. Others will be corrected if the effort suggests better processes to avoid issues or adjustments of the design to improve matters in some way; confirmation can be a good thing. Very few prototypes get to make the acquaintance of a smoothing plane or a cabinet scraper. And little finish gets wasted on prototypes. The final result may not be a thing of beauty, but will normally give a close enough result to permit the aesthetics of the design to be assessed and guide adjustments. A prototype is the time to sort out the right tool for the job at each stage, to sort out the best order of operations, so that an operations does not cause issues with a prior bit of work and spoil a part and such like, to determine the sequence of assembly operations that works best. When you turn to cherry or walnut or mahogany and are spending 5-6-7 dollars per BF, it isn't time to figure things out. And when, as in some of my work, you're working in Burmese teak at $26/BF and up, it ain't profitable to mess up any parts.

3. When it's time to build, prepared through a proof of concept and/or a prototype and/or a prior build and/or detailed study of plans and drawings, video guides, etc., the processes, tool selections, order of operations and gotchas to watch out for are all known. At this stage, the build begins with the selection of materials, sharpening the tools, preparing and sizing stock, cutting joinery, followed by assembly and finishing. When well planned, the build concentrates on the surface of the wood, the quality and fit of the joinery, the precision of assembly and finally the proper finishing. There are few distractions when the planning and preparation is complete and correct. That means full attention and concentration can be afforded to each step of the build in turn. That keeps errors and omissions to a minimum. Experience (and some good books) teaches a lot of techniques for correcting errors and (some) omissions. The Intertubes can take those who need help to a wealth or corrective guidance. But proper planning and preparation will normally make any errors or omissions on the minor or trivial end of the spectrum of possibilities. Good output is the normal result when care is taken. There are numerous postings with very good builds said to be produced by first time builders who exercised due care as they learned.

4. There are times when the normal building accuracy and precision require additional attention and care. When you're building a Martha Washington candle stand to go in Aunt Sadie's drawing room, looks are everything, good shapes, good fitting joints, impeccable finish are all key. When you're building a boat for your customer to take a spouse and kids sailing on the ocean, there are some other factors that are suddenly more important - and proper design, engineering, accuracy and precision count a lot. I'm not doing a lot of boat building any more, but when I did, failing slowly wasn't quite the right watch-word. Over the years, I've lost friends and acquaintances, and know of a lot more, lost at sea for a variety of causes, including sinking boats and ships. Fortunately, I've never lost one of the boats I've built, repaired, restored or otherwise done work that might affect seaworthiness. Far as I know, I've not even lost anyone overboard from one of mine. I've been blessed. Not all boat designers and/or builders can say that.

Keep it all in perspective.

Jim
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron