Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Refurbishing a Powermatic 3520b

I've now got the lead screw turning, so it will go all the way in. It turns out the quill locking lever screws into the quill lock sleeve, and it could be that that is keeping the quill from moving. I've tried screwing the locking lever back in and then pulling the lock sleeve out, but not go. So, I'll try 3-1 oil first. I do have a compressor and will try the PB Blast next, then the air hammer. Lot less expensive than new tailstock (over $400). Thanks, guys.

If it does come to the air hammer, take some time to familiarize yourself with how they work. They can potentially be very destructive, either by beating up whatever you're hitting with it, shearing metal off, or even reaming out smaller threads.

Basically there's two things you can do with it -- drive out something that's stuck (but not threaded in), or loosen up a threaded fastener by vibration. If you're trying to break free a threaded fastener you don't want to hit it too hard, just enough to break the bond and allow the PB Blaster to penetrate. Repeating the process a few times will get the penetrating oil deeper into the threads and eventually it will just unscrew.

In the former case it works basically like a press. It just forces the two things apart by many repeated taps.

I've now got the quill lock sleeve out, but the quill still won't budge. I'll be calling Powermatic in the morning for advice. The PB Blast worked like a charm!

I sold the powermatic--it was just going to be too much work for me.