Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop cabinet configuration

I have built roll-away cabinets that go under my bench top, along the lines of http://www.startwoodworking.com/post/roll-away-workshop (but mine not as great looking). It's nice to use them as work surfaces when I'm in the middle of a project, then roll them back under the bench later. Version one has drawers accessible only when the cabinet is pulled out. Version two has mostly drawers accessible from the front, with big item storage in the back.

Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Know anyone redoing their kitchen? I used my old kitchen cabinets in my shop and they work great.
    Don, I've used base cabinets and then built my own. I was much happier with what I built. That said, it's hard to argue with the price of old (free) cabinets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    McMaster-Carr has the good quality, compartmented, plastic boxes with non-adjustable dividers for storing fasteners.
    Thanks, I will take a look. My situation is a bit special. Years ago, my brother worked for a bank and they were getting rid of their microfilm (going digital). I got a microfilm cabinet for free. It turns out that a standard plastic electrical box is just about the right width. I'm always on the hunt for better but those boxes can be had at HD for cheap and they work ok.

Another (possibly) profoundly dumb question, please.
    In that 5' wide area, I was wondering if you thought it would be better to have 2-30" wide drawers or 3 stacks, say 2-18" and a 24"?

I'm guessing there is some personal preference here.
    My thought regarding wider drawers is that I could make a number of dados and have flexibility in compartment sizes with movable dividers

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Bill, can you provide a link on eBay for those little bins? I’ve been using single gang electrical boxes. They work fairly well but I would like to do better.
    Sorry for the slow response (missed the question) ... do a search for "vidmar lista drawer organizer bins" and you will see dozens of different combinations offered by schallercorporation
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius