Thread: Plywood goldmine/gloat

Plywood goldmine/gloat

For those of you that are within a few hours of DeQueen, AR (40 minutes from my shop):

Hamel Plywood buys culled plywood from Columbia and random stock from places where their stock becomes outdated as government contracts change. Don't think of culled plywood as a bad thing either. Some of the defects are so ridiculous I can't imagine it being listed as a cull: but good for me/us.

Every 3/4x4x8 sheet, regardless of veneer is $32/sheet
    Stacks of QSWO with Maple A1 backs.
    Stacks of Red Oak QS with Maple A1 backs.
    Rotary cut RO2S
    Pine
    Alder
    Birch

Every 5/8x4x8 is $25!!!

Every 1/2x4x8 is $12!!!

Every 1/4x4x8 is $8!!!

To give a little perspective. I've been paying $110 for QSWO single sided. $75 for RO Rotary. $10 for 1/4 MDF.

I picked up 13 sheets of 1/2x4x8, prepainted on both sides (feels and looks like melamine) for my shop-side office and paint room walls for $12. Perspective? I outfitted my interior paint room with 7/16 OSB and it took 4 gallons of primer and 4 gallons of enamel - cost me about $400 all together. The sheets for the exterior cost me $187. Only one side had defects in the paint - and for a shop those defects were laughable.

Anywho... w00t!
    -Lud

Good for you!

Wow...I'd jump on that deal in a split second if I were in that area!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wow! I occasionally run into a deal but not not like that. Sounds like it might be worth a road trip for someone.

I did find out one of my local dealers sold ply and siding with very minor defects but you had to ask - they didn't advertise. When building the shop I bought a bunch of siding panels with minor corner or edge dents for $5 each - almost free. I was going to trim some a bit anyway.

JKJ

I'd be broke saving money!
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Just color me JEALOUS!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've had people telling me about the place for some time, but since my distributor delivers to my front door for $15, I never made the trip. The owner told me he's tried to get the distributor to come check him out, but they don't. Again, good for me - bad for my sales rep.

I'm still reeling. My next trip will involve a trailer, guaranteed.
    -Lud

I thought that's what plywood costs in heaven.

Great find.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I built a extremely heavy duty 30' x 60' workbench using only culled wood from a local orange big-box. Tripled 2 x 6 legs, 2 x 6 top frame and supports, double 3/4' plywood top and shelf ... total cost for wood was around $10.00! They no longer sell culled wood though ... too bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shanaphy View Post
    I built a extremely heavy duty 30' x 60' workbench using only culled wood from a local orange big-box. Tripled 2 x 6 legs, 2 x 6 top frame and supports, double 3/4' plywood top and shelf ... total cost for wood was around $10.00! They no longer sell culled wood though ... too bad!
    30' x 60' eh? That is Optimus Prime's workbench!

plywood workbench?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Shanaphy View Post
    I built a extremely heavy duty 30' x 60' workbench using only culled wood from a local orange big-box. Tripled 2 x 6 legs, 2 x 6 top frame and supports, double 3/4' plywood top and shelf ...
    Hey, do you have and photos or sketches? I ask since my buddy Joe wants to build a heavy duty workbench and is looking for some ideas.

This is a bit of a "cheap" plywood story too but different. The plywood was free but the circumstances were sad. A mutual friend, my old flying and cave diving buddy, passed away last year and his wife called me to see if I could use some wood she was taking out of the basement. Turns out it was from his model train layout which had taken up half the basement. I loaded up my big trailer with about 15 sheets of 4x8 3/4" plywood plus rectangular frames for each sheet, well made from 2x4s, torsion box style. (Carl never did anything half way!) The wood is pristine except for some screw holes - perfect for work benches and such. We both want to build something useful from this wood as a bit of memorial for our friend.

I figured a sheet of 3/4" on both the top and bottom of a frame would be fairly sturdy but I like the idea of a doubled top. I did that when I build a bench for my little milling machine. Did you glue the sheets together, screws? It would be nice to give Joe some ideas - he's not specifically a woodworker but he can do just about anything.

JKJ