Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any recommendations for a cnc?

I’ve been involved in the order and purchase of 3 CNC machines. 1 personally, 1 helping a former boss and another helping a friend. All 3 machines came from CAMaster; although for my personal machine and my former bosses I received quotes from the other companies mentioned here. The machines were all under different names; so I wouldn’t say there was special treatment involved because they knew me. All 3 machines were in different price ranges. All quotes were received same day or within a business day. Sometimes there were 3-4 quote changes a day. Any questions were answered within 1-2 days which is more than acceptable in my opinion. Also sometimes you need to consider the salesman isn’t the engineer. He may need to ask someone else for information if you have a unique question. Maybe not even the engineer; if you have an incredibly specific question they may even need to go as far as contacting the spindle manufacture for example. Anyways to wrap this up I read some comments that I do not agree with in the slightest and I have first hand experience of amazing technical and customer service from the whole team at CAMaster.

PS: I bought a 510 ATC machine and never even recieved a call back from laguna.

Edit: My whole reason for posting defending CAMaster was over a post that seems to have been deleted.
    Last edited by Carter Whyte; 10-27-2017 at 9:01 PM.

Bias; possibly. But the fact I’ve recommended the company to 2 people and bought 1 myself personally should go a long way. Also I’d consider that a lot of experience dealing with their customer support and had nothing but an amazing experience. The company went above and beyond for me; on my personal machine and one for a former boss. The 3rd I wasn’t involved after the initial quoting/recommendation but every single experience I had with them lead me to post after I disagreed very strongly with what you had to say. So... 3 successful purchases or 1 guy who had a post deleted for some reason... Take it however you’d like it.

Edit: Once again the post my reply has been in response to was deleted.
    Last edited by Carter Whyte; 10-28-2017 at 5:24 PM.

I don't take offense to those things that Mark has stated and am actually sorry they were removed. Sorry because I want to believe he actually believed them himself and were an accurate representation of the facts.

Personally I have not purchased a machine from the company in question. That said I have spoken to a number (a dozen or more) of their dissatisfied clients. These clients could not get a solution to their issues, the most of which were legitimate in my opinion. Some had problems that apparently could not be solved and others would not be solved by the machines mfgr. My personal distain for them comes as a result of having been in the 2013 redesign of the CAMaster Stinger 1. (see pic 1 below) And then 6-8 months later you see a "revolutionary" new product released. (see pic 2 below)

The next instance happened during my consulting with Black Box Vacuum developing the Hurricane single phase vacuum in (pic 3 below) for their mfg process. SS offered to become a dealer and purchased at least one. Next thing you know there is a video out talking about the "engineering advancements" with the revolutionary single phase product. (see pic 4)

Pictures are screen snips of the mfgr's websites

I am no longer financially involved in either product, so I don't have a dog in the fight. That said, I also do not believe in coincidence. Coincidence would have you thinking that in 2 separate places two products were developed for the same purpose, at almost the same price, one just a half year behind the other. Like I said, I do not believe in coincidence, pictures are below, you should draw your own conclusion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Yeah, while arguably the commoditization of CNC ought to lead to a lot of commonality, it's kind of depressing the proliferation of machines which really don't add anything and instead just further sub-divide a finite pie.

(ob. discl. I work part-time for a hobby-level vendor of CNC kits and a tiny little hybrid mill/router, Carbide 3D)