Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Japanese Tools/Shoji Video introduction

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    It doesn't like the browser I use (Opera).
    David's video is MPEG4, and it looks like Opera may not do that out of the box. A quick search suggests there may be a plugin available.

Full disclosure: My employer also makes a web browser, I'm not speaking for them, etc.

Both videos are a welcome respite, with a quiet and calm pace that is inspiring. Thanks for making the effort

Blog Entries
    Thanks Christopher!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rick, I've got this one up on Vimeo now as well.

https://vimeo.com/240306987

Enjoyed these videos - thank you

What wood are you working?

Blog Entries
    Thanks John! That wood is yellow cedar, which is a type of Cypress from Alaska and British Columbia.

Thanks Brian - I'm in British Columbia

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Brian,

The world is overrun with instructional youtube videos. It is good to see a video that imparts the feel of working wood. Good on you and Mr Bartlett.

ken
    I'm with Ken. There are some extraordinary moments, like when you're setting the plane iron, or examining the iron you've sharpened, that truly convey the sort of concentration and attention to detail that is necessary for working at the level you work at. The lack of any sound other than the very crisp sounds of the work itself contributes to this as well. The viewer cannot help but feel an intense sense of being in the moment, hearing and seeing every tiny detail. It is very Zen. Well done, Brian.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    I'm with Ken. There are some extraordinary moments, like when you're setting the plane iron, or examining the iron you've sharpened, that truly convey the sort of concentration and attention to detail that is necessary for working at the level you work at. The lack of any sound other than the very crisp sounds of the work itself contributes to this as well. The viewer cannot help but feel an intense sense of being in the moment, hearing and seeing every tiny detail. It is very Zen. Well done, Brian.
    FWIW I feel the same.

I couldn't resist poking fun at the slow-mo "money shot" earlier, but it takes a lot of skill to realize something like that to begin with. I think this is a case where the slick production reinforces the message instead of distracting. Again, nicely done both to you and your partners!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Thanks Steve! Very much appreciate your comments! It was really enjoyable working with someone, a close friend, who really gets what I do and is well equipped in how to best show it.

Basically we were both in agreement over the entire thing, from the choice not to narrate all the way on through to just the noises of the shop.

This truly was fun to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    Thanks Brian - I'm in British Columbia
    Consider yourself lucky, you are in the land of beautiful high quality softwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    FWIW I feel the same.

I couldn't resist poking fun at the slow-mo "money shot" earlier, but it takes a lot of skill to realize something like that to begin with. I think this is a case where the slick production reinforces the message instead of distracting. Again, nicely done both to you and your partners!

Thanks Patrick! No worries, your comments are always taken in good spirit.