Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Tools/Shoji Video introduction

Blog Entries

Japanese Tools/Shoji Video introduction

My good friend Tommy Bartlett is videographer. We've been working on a project together, this is the first 1/2.

Enjoy

https://videopress.com/v/XbjGe6vW
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 10-17-2017 at 1:53 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Always good to see your workspace and process.

Most excellent, but I'm afraid were going to need more, lot's more!
    Rick

Nice! Beautiful photography.

Nice plane. I see your hands turn JP White Oak black too.

Nice hammer. Copper-plated or solid copper?

Looking forward to seeing more, especially your hikouki kanna in action.

Are you going to make full-blown 2-layer mentori kumiko with a kamahozo top rail?

Do you always use a plane left-handed, or are you entirely ambidextrous?

And what about your planing robe and embroidered planing slippers? You look wonderful darling. Don't tease us forever.

Stan
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 10-17-2017 at 3:39 PM.

More robes and slippers, please.

Seriously my only critique, and this is subjective, is that I'm not a fan of the super-desaturated colors.

While I can understand the desire to avoid the "garish look" (which is undoubtedly worse) I think you've taken it too far. I imported the video to Premiere Pro and quickly looked at the vectorscope and waveforms, and it looks really compressed in chroma to me though reasonable in greyscale.

Full disclosure: I used to do a lot of color management in my former imaging role, so I'm picky.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-17-2017 at 7:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Gents, much appreciated!

Patrick,
    Appreciate the feedback! Good eye! My friend Tommy did all of the videography, I encouraged him to take it anywhere he wanted and we bounced around ideas on how to play out the scene for this. We both wanted to do something where I'm not doing any sort of narration or anything like that, we wanted the feel of it to come through more than anything. I enjoy the desaturation, I think it goes well with the goal of the video which was to bring out the feeling of the work. He picked up on so many things that have gone unnoticed by me doing the work daily now.

Stan, the second half of the video is my cutting out a haunched double tenon with jaguchi shoulder, so it won't get into the kumiko work at all. We set aside about 7 hours or so for filming and these two parts ate up all of that. The work went fast but there is an incredible amount of setup for each small scene.

Haha, your comments have me rolling!!! I nearly forgot about the planing robe, that should be a video in and of itself. That hammer is solid copper, I love it, nice to use a hammer to set the blade and not damage anything. I also turn the wood black, I'm reactive it would seem, hah.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Haha, your comments have me rolling!!! I nearly forgot about the planing robe, that should be a video in and of itself. That hammer is solid copper, I love it, nice to use a hammer to set the blade and not damage anything. I also turn the wood black, I'm reactive it would seem, hah.
    Whoever does your hair and makeup did a wonderful job. You looked absolutely marvelous, dahling!

In combination with the planing wardrobe, some gold accessories, an earing and chain for instance, would add mystery. You should also consider a more "daisensei" style, perhaps something Yoda-like with green blush and some ear prosthetics complete with hairs for your next video.

See you at Canne, darling! Ha ha

Stan
    Last edited by Stanley Covington; 10-18-2017 at 6:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping that it makes the rounds, would love to see people really share it.

Haha, I will take these under consideration Solid gold Jikatabi!?!

I'm hoping that it makes the rounds, would love to see people really share it.

Haha, I will take these under consideration Solid gold Jikatabi!?!
    Absolutely marvelous, dahling!

i saw about a 3:05 video that was elegantly produced which included a tad bit of sharpening, the plane setup and a few plane strokes / shavings. Is there more? How can I navigate to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    i saw about a 3:05 video that was elegantly produced which included a tad bit of sharpening, the plane setup and a few plane strokes / shavings. Is there more? How can I navigate to it.
    If only you knew how difficult and time-consuming it is to produce video with those production values (notwithstanding my quibble about color-management in post).

There's a reason why most "high instructional content" WWing videos are basically an expert talking away in front of a single fixed camera, with maybe a few closeups at critical points. It would be too expensive to produce longer videos otherwise. This is more like a music video :-).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-18-2017 at 7:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    If only you knew how difficult and time-consuming it is to produce video with those production values (notwithstanding my quibble about color-management in post).

There's a reason why most "high instructional content" WWing videos are basically an expert talking away in front of a single fixed camera, with maybe a few closeups at critical points. It would be too expensive to produce longer videos otherwise. This is more like a music video :-).
    So, you're saying I saw it all then. Its a nice start, but way over produced. Just my opinion. I am fascinated by Brian's work, just not this video.

Blog Entries
    Pat B, there will be more, this is intended as an introduction to my work not a 'how-to'. We wanted something that would introduce the spirit of the work to people entering my website and give a good idea of what it's all about rather than an essay or video with narration. I have plenty of that in other sections of my site, so for the landing page we wanted something exciting.

Pat B, there will be more, this is intended as an introduction to my work not a 'how-to'. We wanted something that would introduce the spirit of the work to people entering my website and give a good idea of what it's all about rather than an essay or video with narration. I have plenty of that in other sections of my site, so for the landing page we wanted something exciting.
    Brian,

The world is overrun with instructional youtube videos. It is good to see a video that imparts the feel of working wood. Good on you and Mr Bartlett.

ken