Thread: Epoxy for garden gate construction

Epoxy for garden gate construction

I'm planning to build an arched garden gate/trellis with a hinged T&G panel door. The material will either be Cypress or Western Red Cedar and it will be painted with a quality exterior paint.

The joinery will likely be dominoes for the door frame and arch splices (24" radius with a heavy timber; it will need at least 1 splice in the middle.) I may use mortise and tenon for the rails and styles of the door frame, but not sure.

I'm not familiar enough with epoxy to know right off the top what my best options are. Am I correct in assuming that epoxy is a much more durable choice for this exterior application than something like Titebond III?

Any advice or recommendations for this application?

Thanks!

I've been using West Systems G-Flex epoxy on both garden gates and storm doors for the last couple of years with no problems.

Garden gates are M & T as normal but also pinned with a dowel just in case the glue gives up. This one has been in service for a couple of years with no problems. You can see the dowel in the second picture, I use big uns.

DSCF9137a.JPG

DSCF9138.JPG
    Larry

I used WEST SYSTEM 105 resin and 206 hardener for this one:

Gate.jpg

The wood is western red cedar. The rails and stiles are joined using mortise and tenon, pegged with white oak dowels. It has been up for less than a year, so I can't comment on longevity.

I used West Systems GFlex epoxy for a outdoor waterfall bench made out of walnut. The sides were dovetailed and pegged and it is held together with the epoxy. Works great - I've used GFlex for years and it is the go-to adhesive for the knife/cutlery community for attaching knife scales to blades (which is a very demanding application).

005.jpgThis gate has been in lace for 8 years. Western Red Cedar, mortise and tenon, Titebond II for glue. It continues to hold up well in the wet Northwest.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]