Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have entered the 21st century.

I keep a board foot calculator and a fractional calculator handy (there are several good calc apps out there). The Wood Whisperer has a nice app - and it is useful if you are a guild member.

There are a *lot* of junk apps out there that say they display project plans, identify wood types, and other stuff. 99% of them are the smartphone equivalent of junk mail.

I have a Samsung Android based smart phone. In the shop I mainly use the calculator and camera apps, YouTube and Pinterest for access to how-to videos and design idea pics, and Pandora and Poweramp for music that I play through a Bluetooth connected speaker. But possibly the best 'app' in the shop is the pencil and legal note pad (i.e., a paper note pad) that I keep on or next to the workbench for making sketches and rough diagrams with measurements and notes.

My favorite app is buffalo wings. My flip-fone doesn't do them.

Samsung Android phone here. From the play store I have: Golden Ratio Calculator, Handyman Calculator, Metrics Conversion, Time recording,Woodworking Utilities.
    Jim

Screenshot_20171017-170617.jpg

I have a Bosch laser measure and I use the app that goes with it. Pretty neat how it works. I also use a unit converter. Mainly, though, I just plug my phone into the stereo and listen to Pandora stations while I work.

I spend 60+ hours a week worrying about computer infrastructure, software, communications and security. I am allergic to anything remote resembling electronic technology in the shop as a result. The one exception is the Amazon Echo my kids gave me for Christmas, which I use solely as a convenient way of hands-free listening to books on tape. I plan to ditch my smart phone (a work necessity) the day after I retire, but if I don't, I can imagine by the time I have been out of the tech business for 3 or so years, I might consider putting a woodworking app on it.