Thread: Stanley #39 Dado Plane

Stanley #39 Dado Plane

An occasional reader of my bLog mentioned he was trying to collect one of each of the Stanley planes and how it might be an impossible job. I must say I expect he is correct. I have an example of most of the type 9 bench planes but I'm far from having a complete set of type 9's and in reality I have no hope of ever completing the collection and that is just one type of bench planes.

Anyway it got me to thinking about some of my rust and if any would fill in the gaps of a likely Stanley tool collection. The most likely candidate is a Stanley #39 I got several years ago in a box of rust from a fellow needing gas money to go home. I know there is a sucker born every minute but what can I say other than I like a good story even if it is BS and we both know it. BTW, IIRC there were several usable planes in the box, several of which I gave to other local woodworkers and a few I kept like the #39.

Here are some photos of the #39:

stanley39Side171016dscf2048.jpgstanley39OnLeftSide171016dscf2051.jpgstanley39OnRightSide171016dscf2053.jpg

My question is: Has anyone used a #39 to make a dado? From just looking at the plane I can see why it is rare .

ken

IMG_2219 (640x480).jpgIMG_2218 (640x480).jpg
    About the only thing "rare" is finding one complete. I had to make the cutter for this one...

Blog Entries
    At times my desires turn to finding a #39, but then seeing the prices brings me back to earth.

Maybe if one comes my way while out hunting rust. Until then my dados are cut with saws and chisels.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm kinda like you Jim. Just from looking at the plane I figure saw, chisel and router plane would work better but then what do I know. BTW, Steven as best I can tell it is complete.

ken