Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

16 Oct 2017

Good Morning/Evening Everyone,
    I've been busy working the day job AND busy in the shop with the king size bed project. Finaly glue up should be tomorrow night after some easier sanding before assembly. The owner/designer is anxious to get this done and installed in their home...almost as much as I'm ready for it to be out of my shop so I can get some shop space back.

We did get a bit of rain today but we truly need a good couple of days worth of steady rain to water plants, trees, and remove our burn ban. It's been way too dry for far too long. I'm past ready for more rain. The good thing is that cooler temps have moved in and I'm truly in love with this cooler weather!

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Getting things out of the shop – and recovering that space – is one of the great pleasures in life. My boxes and drawers of a mudroom closet (cubby) system got assembled and clear-coated and moved into place [more about the process here]. Have yet to mill up the stock for the upper face frames but expect to get that milled, fabricated, painted and installed this next week. Still, it felt like an accomplishment getting the boxes, seat and upper cabinets into place, and having everything fit as expected.

As you can tell from the original "mockup" ... designs change. No solid wood bench (opted for painted), the cabinets extend up to the bottom of the crown mold (to match the kitchen in the house), the cabinets and drawers will have fronts/doors, and the finish is all painted. I had the cherry plywood and decided that would be an attractive cabinet interior and this would be a great way to get rid of it. I cannot get cherry plywood prefinished from my main supplier (CT Plywood) so I made the decision to use the cherry knowing I would have to spray the interiors of the upper units. That was not a pleasant job. I don't like spraying the interiors not do I relish the sanding before the final coat. It is physically exhausting and I always feel as though I am spraying blind. Next time I would consider doing it as flat panels after cutting.

Unseasonably warm and humid weather here in the northeast. Likely the last summer crop harvest (tomatoes) as with the heat and humidity everything will succumb to mildew. We're getting ready for sailing frostbite season which starts first week of November. A few folks showed up over the weekend looking for repairs to frayed shrouds and stays which required light metalwork (measuring, cutting, swaging). It was nice to be able to take a break from woodworking and shift gears to doing something different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 10-16-2017 at 9:33 AM. Reason: detail changes from mockup
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

My new world of 7-day weekends is taking some getting used to. LOL

That said, my primary focus in the shop right now is continuing the cleanup, reorganization and some minor improvements that I've wanted to do for a long time. I have more space to work now, discovered some unique material I forgot I had and should have a little better workflow as new projects come online. One small task I completed yesterday was to get new lighting installed in the upstairs of the shop as the original "track lights" installed by the previous owner a couple decades ago were both inadequate and failing. There are now simple LED "bulbs" in simple ceramic screw fixtures on the "ceiling" that are providing twice as much light as previous. I also put up hangers for the 30' extension ladder that my neighbor just gifted to me as they prepare to move. Strangely enough, they got it from the previous owner of MY property right before we closed on it in 1999. What comes around...

One small "project" I did on Saturday was to make a new "business end" of the miter fence on my slider. The OEM plastic unit never satisfied me and wasn't completely flush to the blade. This new one make of oak is dead-nuts flush with the cut line and dead-nuts flush with the fence faces on both sides. (thanks to a caliper for exact measuring. )

Upcoming projects include a small commission from a friend who's having their kitchen blown away and rebuilt as new...I get to make the butcher block top for their new island. I'm also planning a storage chest for our master bedroom that will match the two purpleheart and tiger maple night stands I built years ago as well as a few other pieces, both for our home and for speculative sale. There's a chance that I may actively market my premium tack trunks again to the local equestrian market. Nobody else builds anything that nice locally and while the market is small, the work is enjoyable.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-16-2017 at 9:56 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Getting things out of the shop – and recovering that space – is one of the great pleasures in life.

That sounds like something I want to try soon.

Several years ago I built a cabinet to support my television and house the other electronics underneath. I got it to a point that I called "good enough for now" and put it to use. The shelving for the interior never got done. This weekend, as well as the last one, I spent my time in the shop working on the shelving, which will ride on full-extension slides for easier access to the back of equipment.

The cabinet is walnut, finished with boiled linseed oil and shellac, so the remaining components of the interior will be done the same. I enjoy seeing how the walnut responds to each step of this finishing schedule--in this picture, after the initial wipe on, wipe off of BLO.
    Walnut with BLO, 600.jpg
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    So, can you tell me what day it is?

I started digging in a trench for some downspout/sump pump drainage, but it started raining too hard to finish that up. I will have to get that done tonight after work. Then I milled up some walnut and ambrosia maple for a small project. After that I did a bunch of testing for some finishes I want to try on the same project. It is the first time I am doing some colored dyes, and want to get the sequence correct. Along with the strength of the dye. (No, I am not dying the walnut...)

Last night, I organized and cataloged my photos. I didn't realize I have over 9,000 images from the last couple of years. I am using Photoshop Organizer, and it had been a while since I had gone through some of the newer set of pictures. Plus I went through and cleaned up all the SD cards in preparation of an upcoming cruise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ha! Patience. Eleven years of retirement and I'm finally used to it. Now I can't even imagine how I got so much done when I had a real job! Maybe I had more energy then.

I wrapped up a week at the Outer Banks. It was a terrible job but someone had to do it. Fun with family and grandkids. First time for the new Cherokee to play in the sand. (did fine) Got to drive out on the new island that popped up off the Cape Hatteras point this year.

hatteras_2017_IMG_6961.jpg hatteras_2017_IMG_7109.jpg hatteras_2017_IMG_7048.jpg hatteras_2017_IMG_6992.jpg

Good to go and good to get back to the farm.

JKJ

IMG_1972.jpg
    I made a road trip to pick up 100 BF of Black Walnut!
    I'm building a TV console for the den, should be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Irving View Post
    IMG_1972.jpg
    I made a road trip to pick up 100 BF of Black Walnut!
    I'm building a TV console for the den, should be fun!

Looks like you picked up a hitchhiker.
    Chuck Taylor

Blog Entries
    We tented the house for termite fumigation last Thursday. It is almost like moving. All the non-canned food (meaning pretty much all the food) and cosmetics have to be double bagged. Valuables are removed from the house and you stay away for a couple days. Then you return clean and unpack. We are so tired.

Sounds pretty glamorous doesn’t it?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Sounds pretty glamorous doesn’t it?
    Sounds HORRIBLE! The only time I fumigated this house was when it was empty and before we moved anything in. I do have a friend who regularly fumigates his pottery studio - mostly because he does not have a gentle working relationship with spiders. I don't think I could get him inside my barn unless I tied him up first.

JKJ

Shawn, that does sound like "major suckage". We were fortunate that we were able to deal with a recent infestation via milder means. I cannot imagine "moving out" and chemicals being dangerous to our birds make tenting a non-option, too., because of potential residual effects. I hope that your operation got the little buggers!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...