Thread: Teakwood weathered dining room table

Teakwood weathered dining room table

I bought this gorgeous teakwood Table from a restoration hardware outlet store. I believe it’s for outdoor use but I’m using it as my everyday kitchen table. The top is very weathered and chippy. It sheds. I really adore this look. It’s impossible to wipe the table. I think I’ll need to use a soft brush and eat on placemats. I’ve thought about sanding it but I love the chippy look. How can I seal it. What should I use?
    I have attached photos
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't help you with a finish, but I'll comment that "fresh" teak is very beautiful. You might sand some of the teak on the underside of the table and see how you like it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mary, you might want to look at this recent thread on a similar topic http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...rden-furniture

Mike and Andy. Thank you.
    Great idea to sand underneath and that other post was helpful.

Beauty definitely is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't want to look at your table on my deck much less inside my house. Teak is a beautiful wood; what you have looks more like a neglected boat dock. I would sand it down to fresh wood and put a new finish on it. It's teak; show it off.

Just my opinion of course.

John

Teak furniture is often sold with a ticket saying it will turn a beautiful grey. Try to beat that for "its your problem,Bub!"
    claim disclaimer. Since you like it ,I would try brushing it with a fine brass bristle brush. Might get rid of the messy chipping.

You could try a matte finish to preserve the "antiqued" look if you prefer it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mary,

This is mainly an esthetic question that you have to decide for yourself. I guess I should ask what the table is shedding. Dirt? Moss? I would guess that it's shedding a damaged film finish, varnish or lacquer. Take it outside and go over it with a brass brush as Mel suggested. Proceed carefully. If you are lucky, all of the old finish has failed and you will see a nice consistent patina. If you are not so lucky, you may see a mottled surface. The color might differ between places where the wood has weathered more (where the finish has flaked off) and less where it hasn't. From your photos I would guess that's what you will find.

Once you have cleaned the surface of loose finish etc., if you like the appearance you can stabilize it with dewaxed shellac (SealCoat) or Polycrylic. Be careful if you want to oil it because most "oil finishes" are oil-varnish blends and will smell for quite a while until they cure. Pure boiled linseed oil will take ages to dry unless you apply a very thin coat and buff it off well before it dries. It will smell for a long time also but most people do not mind the smell. Almost any finish will darken the table because of the optical properties of the finish. Polycrylic is clear and would darken it least.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Hepler; 10-14-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Doug
    Thank you for the specific details and helpful info. I am going to try the poly.

John, Thank you. I totally understand your point. You made me smile.
    I do like the rustic look of the table.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Crank View Post
    John, Thank you. I totally understand your point. You made me smile.
    I do like the rustic look of the table.....
    Most people would have taken offense, especially these days when everyone seems to be on a short fuse. You didn't. Good on you.

Good luck with your table.

John