Thread: Strange Japanese plane-- can you help me ID?

Strange Japanese plane-- can you help me ID?

Dear Creekers,

For planes I don't think will be essential, sometimes I take a chance on ebay.
    This plane has something to do with dovetails, but I'm not sure what.

Here's pictures.

s-l500.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (2).jpg

I'm thinking of using some evaporust on the metal bits, drying them, and oiling them up.
    The wheels and screws still turn admirably, and the blades hold a keen edge.
    I'm not sure what to do to best rehab this plane otherwise.

My main issue is that the blade doesn't line up:
    s-l500 (1).jpg

In my limited understanding, it seems to be usable for the male portion of dovetails?

I'd bought this a few months back because I wanted to make a bookshelf for my sister.
    However, she ended up wanting Jefferson book boxes.

In the case that I can't use the plane, I could always reuse the knickers and the blade for a rosette cutter and a brace carving plane.

Blog Entries
    In my limited understanding, it seems to be usable for the male portion of dovetails?
    My understanding is if is used for sliding dovetails. My recollection is Derek Cohen has made a plane with a similar purpose.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My understanding is if is used for sliding dovetails. My recollection is Derek Cohen has made a plane with a similar purpose.

jtk
    +1

If you can't use it, I'd be interested in buying it. Don't destroy a good working tool. They are getting to be scarce these days.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron