Thread: MM16 and Laguna Driftmaster installation

MM16 and Laguna Driftmaster installation

I'm looking into getting a Driftmaster fence for my MM16. I have seen the directions for mounting to an MM20, but haven't found anything about the MM16 specifically. I would assume there would be some differences due to the dimensions of the two saws. Laguna sent me the PDF of the fence manual, but it is rather short on specifics. I could use some feedback from those of you who have actually gone through the installation process. Here is an example from the manual:

"The 1/2-inch minimum diameter holes need to be drilled 38 mm from the top of the table. The centers of the holes will depend on the holes that you select on the shaft, which will, in turn, depend on the band saw that you have and the coverage required." Maybe that would make more sense with the fence in hand and assembled, but from here it doesn't seem all that helpful.

Did you use the universal mounting brackets, or mount the rail directly to the table? They say the brackets may get in the way of opening the lower door, necessitating tilting the table first, depending on the saw. I have also heard that some need to move the fine adjustment knob from the left side to the right side in order to open the lower door. Are either of these things an issue for the MM16? My saw was made in 2005, by the way.

Most comments I've read here and elsewhere on the web say the installation can be frustrating, but don't go into the specific problems or solutions. Mechanical intuition is not one of my strong suits, so I would appreciate any advice that you might be able to provide.

Thanks,

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Dan, save your money, the fence is not needed. It might take a few minutes but set the tracking correctly and drift goes away as it is the tracking that controls the drift. The MM I would think does not have curved wheels but the same applies in any case.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

It's not just the drift factor I'm after- the stock fence is warped. It's square to the table on the near end, but gets progressively unsquare all the way to the back. There is no way to adjust this. The fence is machined on either end to mate with the table, and both ends are flat on the table, so the lean is built into the fence body itself. I tried to shim it on the far end, but that didn't help any, it still rides on the front leg. If both front and rear were off, the legs could be filed to correct, but since the front is already square, that won't work. So the fence is pretty much useless.

I like the features of the Laguna, and from what I've read, most owners are very happy with them once on the saw.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 10-12-2017 at 8:21 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Dan, save your money, the fence is not needed. It might take a few minutes but set the tracking correctly and drift goes away as it is the tracking that controls the drift. The MM I would think does not have curved wheels but the same applies in any case.
    MM wheels are flat; tracking absolutely does not affect the the lead angle (drift) as the proper position to run any blades 1/2" and wider is with the teeth overhanging the front of the wheels. The stock MM fence is a piece of dung as shipped, the two pieces of the fence ( the extension and the head) are assembled with a single bolt and a roll pin and any force applied along the length of the fence tends to lever it out of alignment.

Im glad I bought my driftmaster for my MM20 before Laguna got so proud of them, but it is truly a worthwhile upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    MM wheels are flat; tracking absolutely does not affect the the lead angle (drift) as the proper position to run any blades 1/2" and wider is with the teeth overhanging the front of the wheels. The stock MM fence is a piece of dung as shipped, the two pieces of the fence ( the extension and the head) are assembled with a single bolt and a roll pin and any force applied along the length of the fence tends to lever it out of alignment.

Im glad I bought my driftmaster for my MM20 before Laguna got so proud of them, but it is truly a worthwhile upgrade.
    Tracking changes the drift on my MM band saw.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening