Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clamps, clamps, clamps...so many clamps...

I like the no longer available Jorgensen Pony clamps.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

My primary choice has been parallel clamps. I took advantage of a bunch of sale price opportunities years ago and that's paid off in the long run. I have other types, including pipe clamps that I can pull out if I need "more clamps", but I first reach for the parallel jaw clamps for sure.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There are ways to reduce the number of clamps required for a given project. One of the more useful is to use curved cauls.

I recently did a large run of face laminations and didn’t use any clamps. Made three sided boxes for the laminations to sit in and used screws through wood blocks on the top to clamp each lamination.

I’ve got a variety of clamps, and bought them as projects required over a period of years; F style, bar, parallel, cam, quick, etc. Each have their place.

Pocket screws are also useful as clamps where the project allows.

I have a few of eqch style: f, bar, pipe, parallel, quick clamp, spring, c, etc. Not many of each, but a variety of sizes in each to use when their functionality is required. My most often used are the quick clamps for simple holding and parallel for glue ups. They were purchased over many, many years, usually on sale and a few at a time.

Blog Entries
    Like others, once I discovered my preferred clamp types I pick them up whenever they are on sale. Discovering your preferred type will involve what you do with them. I prefer clamps without a clutch although I do have several that have them. I kept needing more 24" Bessey K-bodys so every time they were found on sale for a dollar an inch or less I bought a couple.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (8).jpg

I also use the heck outta Bessey Uni-Klamps, 12" more than others. They are basically an f-style clamp with headshells that make them parallel clamps. I have a bunch. I also use the heck out of Bessey Mighty Minis that you can pick up at Home Depot for about $5 each.

Clamps Group A (9).jpg

I also have pipe clamps with are great for longer stuff. they fit in a rack behind a tool box. I only use them now and then but, when you need a pipe clamp, there's nothing like having them around.

Pipe Clamp Cauls (10).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have about 50 Pony spring clamps an the half that number each of large "C" and 12" and 24" "F" clamps. A select set of 48" Jorgensen cabinet clamps and a growing collection of lever boat clamps. I have a large stock on hand of the steel for the bar and make the heads when I get the chance. They're great!
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I use Besseys parallel clamps and have 4 each of the 24, 36 and 50s. I have a variety of smaller clamps also. If you buy Besseys make sure the parallel ones are from Germany. The China ones are cheap and will bow but under 12" their fine.
    Don

I only buy on sale. Grizzly has a yearly clamp sale, Menards has clamps on sale occasionally, Harbor freight has clamps on sale when they have the tent sale, and don't forget craigslist. Don't really want to list the number of clamps I have. Wife might read this post.

I can't stand parallel clamps.

Thanks, everyone, for the great info. I was mainly just wanting to see what everyone preferred knowing there would be a wide variety.

The plans for the immediate future are outdoor furniture, cabinets, and larger indoor pieces. Down the road, who knows?

Mostly Pony pipe clamps for me. I don't have a single parallel clamp. Found a great deal on Squeeze clamps at Ocean State Job Lot and got a lot of those. 4-6", 4-18", 20-12", 20-24". Pipe clamps range from 36" to 10'. Got a bunch of Jorgenson squeeze clamps before the company went belly up.

Until last year, I always bought a few at a time on sale. Only F-clamps and only on sale. Do that a few times and you can build a nice collection.

I didnt see anyone mention it, but several people suggest ways to stiffen the Harbor Freight bar clamps, including Marty Backe. Link. (I have not tried this.)

Last year, I got carried away and bought 3 types of clamps that were new to me.
    * I discovered the Dubuque/Universals and LOVE them. Link. Bought them at The Best Things on Lee Richmond's advice. At the time, his was the best price I found, from a vendor I knew.
    * Then, I bought some Jet Parallel clamps on sale. Very heavy duty and when I finally used them, I was really pleased.
    * Finally, I found that for small, light work, I like the 18" Bessey Revo Jr clamps. I bought them from HD. Combining these with the Dubuques works well for me. (I do not like the Revo Juniors for heavy work or in lengths greater than 18". YMMV.)

Hope it helps!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-13-2017 at 7:00 AM.

Most have offered their take on styles already... from my perspective, every project at one point or another has me thinking that I could really use another 2 or 3 of this or that particular clamp.
    As for cost, you certainly get what you pay for, unless you go second hand. I have dozens of clamps that I have gotten mostly from estate sales. I am not sure why, but almost without exception, if you find an estate sale with a workshop, there is dusty dark corner with bar and pipe clamps going ignored by everyone else who's there to snatch up power tools. I routinely pick up really old heavy bar and pipe clamps under $10. If they're straight, they are good. Don't be afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    I would buy clamps and tools on an as needed basis for the most part. I have some parallel clamps, but mostly bar clamps.
    +1 on buying on an add-needed basis. You could buy 60 clamps and still not have the one clamp that you need.

The general recommendation is that you buy the tools that you need for a project. I have things that I was sure that I would need in the future..... that I never did use and finally sold after some number of years.

One advantage of pipe clamps is that if you have the clamps, if you need a different length, you can simply buy more pipe.

I purchased a bunch of long pipe clamps on craig's list. A guy was paid to create this long wide table, so he purchased a bunch of pipe clamps. After they sat in his shop unused for a few years (because he did not need to make another) he sold them all to me for a deeply discounted price (good for me).

Quickly scanning, I don't see that anyone has mentioned:

I highly recommend making some 'cambered' or curved clamping cauls. For must straight glue ups, these spread clamping pressure along an edge and reduce the number of clamps you require for a glue up. They can also be used to keep panels flat and aligned during glue up. All this is to say, cauls may allow you to get along with fewer clamps than some of the generously-stocked armories you see below.