Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workbench Build

Workbench Build

I don't post here often, more of a lurker but have been recently bitten by the hand tool bug.

In order to pursue this new affliction, I felt a proper work bench was in order first.

I just completed this last night, and I am pleased with how it turned out. I'm curious what the consensus is on leaving it raw or putting some kind of finish on it?

Thanks for looking

Cory22405903_10213080108384822_2854796536717845178_n.jpg22365434_10213080107904810_8905837864330106228_n.jpg22366788_10213080108144816_1845038182024628169_n.jpg22405788_10213080108344821_4140011289041264792_n (1).jpg

Cory,

Nice looking bench. on some views it looks as if the working slab is slightly larger than the off slab. If so good on you, if not, not a big deal. I like the shelf being what appears to be flush with the bottom stretchers, you will find that is a big deal in use. At most do the top with a couple of coats of Danish oil or BLO. Base go for what makes you feel good. Raw works well for the slabs.

BTW, how long was the build?

ken
    Builder of many benches over the years, it can become an obsession .

Thanks - I started on January 26 when the benchcrafted hardware arrived. I built the majority of it during the months of February and March, then it sat dormant until this past week when my busy season ended at work and I could get back into the shop to finish the last few details.

Nice job neighbor! As you could tell from my Feb '17 thread, I couldn't muster the courage to attempt the hounds-tooth dovetails.

Oh, and I'd put 2 coats of BLO.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 10-12-2017 at 11:03 AM. Reason: finish too

Looks great Cory, My bench has a maple top.I like flatten the top once a year then I will flood it with 50/50 mineral sprites and spar varnish. I've also just mixed up what ever left over oil finishes.
    I thinks it's good to seal up the wood.Since maple can move a lot with weather changes.
    Thanks for sharing your bench with us.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Nice job neighbor! As you could tell from my Feb '17 thread, I couldn't muster the courage to attempt the hounds-tooth dovetails.
    It was a pucker moment, and it looks better in pictures than in person, but it was a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Newman View Post
    Thanks - I started on January 26 when the benchcrafted hardware arrived. I built the majority of it during the months of February and March, then it sat dormant until this past week when my busy season ended at work and I could get back into the shop to finish the last few details.
    Cory,

Two to three months is a pretty good rate on a complex build like yours if working full time. Good on you. Now to make some furniture.

ken

Looks very good. An oil finish, my preference is smoking hot BLO applied with tongs and wire wool, will make it look even better. It will slow the flow of moisture in and out of the wood and prolong the life of the bench considerably. It will also resist coffee cup stains! If that's a concrete floor then sealing the leg end grain is important or stand it on a barrier.

Great to have a dog in every hole!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Wow! Great looking bench, if I made something that looked that good I'd haul in the house and call it fine furniture.
    My son just moved to McKinney, say's everyone is real friendly.
    Rick

Nicely done!

I put a coat or two of sanding sealer (thinned shellac) on mine about every six months or so after a light sanding. The shellac works great protecting the top from spills, etc. The only thing is that a finish makes the top downright slippery. I use a sanding mat when sanding. It is something you get used to after a while.

Lovely work Cory.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Nice bench Cory.

What ever your favorite finish is better than no finish. Maybe something matt so it isn't as slippery.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I cut off squares from an old trailer tire and nailed them to the bottom of my legs. works great, and grips the concrete to boot!

Bench looks great, a bit too big for my shop, though......LOL

I used what I call a Witch's Brew on mine. Quart can that has all the leftover stains and finishes.....then topped off with BLO. Stir well, brush on, then wipe down.

Beautiful work Cory, congratulations! I would definitely put a nice finish on it.