Thread: Plans Sought for Glen Huey Grandfather Clock

Question Plans Sought for Glen Huey Grandfather Clock

Some years ago I purchased Glen Huey's book, "Building Period Furniture" and the accompanying DVD. The book claims detailed plans for all projects are on the DVD, but they are not. Four years ago I got the detailed plans for the book's Highboy directly from Mr. Huey, but I have not been able to find a source for the plans for the Grandfather clock which I am now trying to build. Do you have a set of Huey's clock plans you could share or do you have suggestions of where I might find a copy?

The plans are actually on the DVD, but they're buried. I'm going to tell you how I get to the plans, while running Windows 10. If you're running some other version of Windows, you may have to do something slightly different, but you should be able to get there.
    Insert the DVD into the computer. My computer autoplays a movie from the DVD, which you don't want. Close it. Open the computer's File Explorer window. (I get that by clicking on an icon on the bottom left of the screen. The icon looks like a file folder.) In the navigation column along the left of the window, click on This PC. On the right side, you then should see a bunch of icons, and one of them has DVD in the name. Double click on it. That opens the disc's file, and one of the files is named Project Plans. Double click on that, and you should see a list of project plans in PDF form. One of them is the clock.
    If all else fails, PM me with an email address, and I'll send you a copy of the clock PDF. It is about 1 MByte.

Jamie, you're a genius and far better at tech than me.

John, I notice that your posts have those weird changes in your typing -- like "Huey's". Maybe that means you're on a Mac, so my procedure showing how you find the plans on Windows won't help. I'm afraid I don't know how to do the same thing on a Mac. All I can do is to assure you that the plans are indeed on the DVD, so you should be able to get there somehow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    John, I notice that your posts have those weird changes in your typing -- like "Huey's". Maybe that means you're on a Mac, so my procedure showing how you find the plans on Windows won't help. I'm afraid I don't know how to do the same thing on a Mac. All I can do is to assure you that the plans are indeed on the DVD, so you should be able to get there somehow.
    We've had a number of issues with weird characters in posts. Take a look at the the sticky thread in Tech Support for some answers as to how to fix the problem.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

John, I am interested in making a tall case clock also. I have been looking at Lonnie Birds plan in Fine Woodworking August 2004. He uses a router for the moldings & I was thinking of using mostly hand planes, but I am not sure. I was talking to a clockmaker, David Lindow, and he mentioned Huey’s plans.

As far as I can tell, judging by the pictures of the tall case, it’s a difficult plan to execute. I don’t think most hobbiests can carve those lines and make the ornaments with hand tools. Also, a lathe is needed for some of the columns.
    I decided to make my first clock following a much simpler design with mostly straight lines.
    Anyway, good luck with your project.

You may be right Mike. The hood of the clock has arched windows in the side. I can use a coping or jig saw to cut out the window opening but I am not sure how they cut a profile ( a thumbnail profile - sort of a rabbet ending in a half round - like the profile of a lipped drawer ) inside that cut out window. I might take a trip to the Clock & Watch Museum in Columbia, PA and make some observations on those tall case clocks.

Please keep us posted. Like you, I'm heading to the clock museum in CT. Anyway, do you have any previous experience building tall case clocks? For me it will be a first. But I am really intrigued about the suggestion of being limited to hand tools for such project. It must be interesting.
    Last edited by Mike Berti; 10-25-2017 at 3:52 PM.

Went to National Clock & Watch Museum in Columbia PA. Many beautiful tall case clocks. The hand work was apparent on close inspection and gave me some confidence that perhaps I could make one myself & it didn't have to perfect. I just posted the beginning of my project in another thread.