Thread: JET air filter positioning

JET air filter positioning

We just purchased a JET air filter for our shop which is approximately 24 feet wide by 100 feet long.

It is currently hung at one end of the shop but there is disagreement about whether the intake should be pulling FROM the shop area or whether the exhaust (clean air) should be pointed toward the shop area

My position is that the intake should be pulling FROM the woodworking area in order for the filter to capture the dust, but others disagree.

Thanks for the input.

Rick Hubbard
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for how it is understood

Rick, I agree with you. In my shop, I have two Jet air filters and they are pointed in opposite directions so they move the air in a circular pattern.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Against a long wall is often recommended for the reason that Ken states . . . his is just twice as good ;-) Aiming straight down a long rectangle or straight at a wall is going to be sub-optimal.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Rick, with only one filter unit, I agree with you. Point the intake side toward where the dust is created.

My $.02: For a shop your size, you might consider adding one ore two more units, or to at least add some box fans in a few spots. Ideally, you want the air to move through the shop in a circular motion. It will be much more effective than one filter/blower unit because nearly all of the air in your shop will be in constant motion and will end up going through your filters. And when you do it this way, you don't have to worry so much about your question because all of the air in the shop will go through your filters eventually. In fact, with the circular configuration, I might even encourage you to point the exhaust at your biggest dust creating machines to blow the dust away from you and into the "jet stream."

I agree with everyone else, intake to the work area. I hung my two a couple weeks ago which will induce a circular flow. I must admit to a stupid thing I did though. Half my shop has a 10 ft. flat ceiling and the other half a high vaulted ceiling. The unit on the flat ceiling I hung away for the wall several feet due to position of perimeter lights. I hung it with turnbuckles. The one for the vaulted ceiling I hung closer to the wall so it would be low enough to service from a ladder. One side with just turnbuckles and the outbound side with turnbuckles and chains. Well, then I noticed that the door to access the filter only opens on one side. You guessed it, the side closer to the wall and close enough I can't slide the filter out. I like where it is so I plan to cut the metal and install hinges on the outbound side. I installed them by myself with my dry wall lift, otherwise you probably need 3 people, two to hold and one to connect the chains.

The manual for mine had recommendations for mounting.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The manual for mine had recommendations for mounting.

JKJ
    John said it. The manuals also recommend the cubic foot of space for filter and height of installation. I like to think that just above head height is a good height to try to catch the air in the normal breathing area, and also dust will not always rise to full ceiling height on tall ceilings. 24 x 100 sounds like it would need multiple units on both sides in opposite direction. In my old shop, I had a fan mounted off the ceiling to help circulate the air in the 22x24 in a rotational direction to help the air circulation of the filter.

I agree that that large space is going to require multiple units because of the air volume.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...