Thread: Options for dadoes with planes?

Options for dadoes with planes?

Hello all,

Don't get to get into the shop much lately, so appreciate everyone posting here.

Related to a recent discussion, I'm seeking guidance on how to approach dadoes with planes. I currently saw, chisel and router plane, but haven't been super happy with the results.

I've been excited about the new LV combination plane in part because it would be a way to upgrade my Record 043 for plowing and gain the ability to do cross-grain grooves. The Record is impossibly cute, but is a bit small.

I don't foresee using any set up for lots of profiles for complicated moldings.

So my question is, does it make sense to upgrade to a LV small plow and dedicated dado plane(s) or go with the new LV combo? I'm specifically curious about folk's experience with the combo for dadoes and/or sources for dedicated dado planes and best size/sizes. Derek has written a bit on the former and I know Brian uses a HNT Gordon dado....

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

And I use a Stanley 45 for dados. I can vary the width as needed depending on the size of the dado....LV Combo is just the $$$ "up-dated" version...

I also have the Stanley #39-3/8 Dado plane. Will cut a nice 3/8" wide dado, but needs a batten fence to guide it along. Iron cuts at a skew. Stanley made a range of sizes in the #39.

IMO for dadoes you ideally want a plane with nickers on both sides. The LV small plow doesn't have nickers, while the LV combo does. If I were going to cut a lot of dados I'd lean towards the combo for that reason.

As Steven says the LV combo is based on the 45, which also has dual nickers.

I use a couple old wooden dado planes - I have about $80 in the pair. I really like the way the dedicated dado planes perform. I also have the LV small plow - great tool. So thus far, I have been able to resist the new LV Combo.

But if I didnt already own the above tools, I'd go buy the new Combo and probably forgo the dados. The Combo will do it all. (Remember that there's only a $160 price difference between the combo and the small plow. That will get eaten up quickly if you buy small plow + dado plane(s) and the Combo does far more for you.)

But be aware there's a learning curve on the Combo - see William Fretwell's recent post to get a sense of it. Link.

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-10-2017 at 8:53 PM.

Thanks gentlemen. I'll definitely be getting something with nickers for sure. I have been reading William's thread and do expect some learning curve. I have the skew rabbet and am getting to reasonably proficient, but there was a learning curve there too.

Other opinions/experiences?
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    My only plane that gets used on dados is my router plane.

To me through dados do not look as good as a stopped dado:

Through Dado Shelf.jpg Stop Dado Shelf trimmed corner.jpg

May be a bull nosed dado plane?

Most of mine are sawn and chopped.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    To me through dados do not look as good as a stopped dado:

Stop Dado Shelf trimmed corner.jpg
    Chris, please forgive me for a brief aside here.....

Jim, I've always put facia/trim boards on the face to cover the through dados. I never once thought to do what you show with the stopped dado. But I really like the look and I'll try that the next time. How far from the front edge do you "stop" that dado in the picture shown? Can you recall how much radius did you put on the shelf?

Thanks,
    Fred

I also prefer the look of stopped dadoes in that application. But they are a pain to do. Through dadoes are much easier. I have usually done them with a Stanley #46. Just before I packed up my shop a few years ago, I acquired a set of wooden dado planes. I'm anxious to give them a try.

I have no dado planes did these with a 1/4'' chisel for this exercise.
    IMG_2870.jpg
    As to the thru dado on the bookcase I have no prpblem with that style if the edges of the shelf and the dado are eased to make it more like a detail.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Hello all,

I currently saw, chisel and router plane, but haven't been super happy with the results.

Best,
    Chris
    Perhaps you could share your technique?

No nickers or plane are needed if you saw to a deep score line. This should give you a nice sharp shoulder.

The router plane should give you a nice uniform bottom.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 10-11-2017 at 1:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    How far from the front edge do you "stop" that dado in the picture shown? Can you recall how much radius did you put on the shelf?
    My recollection is that the distance from the front edge and the shelf end radius is 3/4". That is the same as the thickness of the wood. It helps to do a dry assembly to make sure there are no gaps.

When this was explained to my wife for the first time, she didn't quite understand. She was afraid things would slip off the shelves due to the gap.

My latest project has the front edge of the shelf extend beyond the front of the sides. Maybe a picture later.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-11-2017 at 4:22 PM. Reason: wording added my latest project...
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I think you must be prepared to dado in different ways. I like to use my 45 when possible. I have thought about dedicated dado planes but they are size specific unless you cut two runs with a smaller size (which has to be done with a 45 as well). So I try to assess and use the best, in my judgement, method.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My latest project has the front edge of the shelf extend beyond the front of the sides. Maybe a picture later.

jtk
    My hip seems to be suffering from a slip on the treadmill so my going is slow today. Here is an image of the latest WIP:

Cabinet wip.jpg

Sorry for the slow exposure (blur). My hip/leg was giving me too much grief to move some lights around.

Even though it seems to be taking a long time this was supposed to be a quickly knocked together piece to have a place to stow some of the clutter.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-11-2017 at 8:29 PM. Reason: sorry for the slow exposure

Dados may be made several ways. A knife, chisel and router plane is my go-to for stopped dados. Recently, I demoed the Veritas Combo plane for through dados ..

However, the dado plane I have been using for the past 5 years is the HNT Gordon ..

There is a review here.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Maybe a little hard to find in a complete state, but..
    IMG_2219 (640x480).jpg
    This one is a Stanley No. 39-3/8 inch Dado plane. Needs a batten to guide it. You buy these according to the width of the Dado you want to make...
    IMG_2218 (640x480).jpg
    Do not confuse it with one of these Rebate planes..
    IMG_2220 (640x480).jpg
    The No.78 Rebate plane.