Thread: Gutting and refitting an old ULS with new drives & tube- what recommendations?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gutting and refitting an old ULS with new drives & tube- what recommendations?

While having some issues with a dodgy Y axis on our ULS M-300, I managed to buy an old ULS V-400, thinking that they were close in size and made-date (2002/2003), and perhaps the motherboards might be swappable.
    But they're not!

The V-400 is a 600 x 450mm or 24 x 18" model.
    It came with 2 dead ULS RF/ceramic air-cooled tubes, and a spare power supply, and a spare motherboard.
    The original power supply is OK, as is the spare.
    The sellers wanted to keep the lens.
    But it won't boot up properly.
    For $130, it's a nice solid box with rails, mirrors, and steppers and wires, safety sensors & a power supply.
    (The drives for the 3 axes are all built into the single motherboard.)

I still figured it would be good value for parts of the M-300, but am now deciding that since finding a motherboard for it is likely to be too hard, and it won;t work in the M-300...

is there a recommended CPU card and drives like the Ruida 6442G, and a chinese tube that is worth getting, to make or retrofit the spare box into something useable again? Which drives would be best? Or is there a commercially available collection on Aliexpress etc?

I'd appreciate any recommendations or thoughts, thanks!

P.S. I do have an RDC 6442G controller here, bought for our 130w Chinese Goldenlaser, but at the moment, I'm content with that laser working OK with its own yukky software, and don't want to be without it while I change things there.

It would be useful to be able to get a ULS lens for it, rather than somehow fitting a chinese one to its chassis.
    Last edited by Ian Stewart-Koster; 10-08-2017 at 4:58 AM. Reason: typo
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.