Thread: hoisting a delta 14 tablesaw

hoisting a delta 14 tablesaw

I am thinking of buying a 12-14 inch tablesaw. such as a delta or powermatic. they weigh around 800 pounds. how can they be safely lifted into a truck or trailer? Or do the have to be slid on a ramp. I would think lifting by the table may break off the table corners.
    Bill D

If you lift by the table you will be good.
    IRRC there are four 1/2 bolts one in each corner and the bulk of the weight is the top.
    So it just sheet-metal and motor.

When I had to move a similar sized bandsaw, I rented a truck with a lift gate. Made it easy.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Your slings will have lift from the corners on the underside of the table, where it meets the tables. As George pointed out, this is where the bolts are at. Th eonly other option is to rig from the bottom, with a choke and basket sling. You would still need to get the saw off the ground first, and in that case, you're already half way there. You could try to "choke" it, but you need to be experienced to ensure that the chokes won't release, or flip.
    To "lift" it into the bed of a truck, is going to require a fairly high lift point. The height of the saw at ~34", length of the slings to the hook, and the hook to the lifting device is going to add up pretty quickly Add this to the height of the truck bed, or trailer, at it's lowest clearance point and you could require 8'-9' of height, and then boom length, unless you have a rolling gantry.

Unless you already have the equipment, and experience, I'd try Mike's method first and rent a truck or trailer with a lift gate. Get it on a pallet, and move it with a pallet jack, to the lift gate.
    800lbs. is a lot of weight for a single person. Two or three guys would make it pretty easy.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 10-08-2017 at 10:22 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I've moved machines weighing that much with a 9 x 5' U-Haul trailer with the long gate. If the machine is a on a mobile base it's really easy with 2 or 3 guys and some plywood for it to roll on. W/o a mobile base I've used a winch mounted at the front of the trailer to pull the machine up into the trailer, again on plywood. You can do that alone. In either case, once you get the machine onto the gate, stop, and then lift the gate up parallel with the trailer bed using a car jack on each side, and then slide it into the trailer. Do the reverse to unload.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    When I had to move a similar sized bandsaw, I rented a truck with a lift gate. Made it easy.
    Enterprise and Ryder both rent 24' trucks with lift gates for personal use. 800 lbs shouldn't be an issue.

Rolling on pipes can overcome quite a bit.

Or flip it like you would a smaller cabinet saw, just more carefully.

When I purchased a Uni-saw Way-Back-In 1987, I rented a pick up with a lift. Dealer put it on the lift , moved it forward and away we went. Backed into my garage, moved the saw to the lift and lowered it bout 6" from where I wanted it.

Bill - Possibly advantageous reduction in weight and lower center of gravity to remove the Table wings ?

Additional benefit is just plain less potential leverage on table, and less damage potential if God forbid it tips on side ?

Just curious.. Are you including the old arn Rockwell 12-14?

I always lusted for one, till recently I realized... DUHHH .. It's Right tilt !!

Not used to that, so my fever has gone away.

So, the R tilt is OK w you ?

I've seen a few clean old ones lately if one is willing to ship. Marc

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...2-14-table-saw

Maybe, remove entire top ??

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...2-14-table-saw

2/3 across USA ship can be done ballpark 5-$600.

Seems to me a majority of those bigger saws, any brand, are Right tilt?

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 10-08-2017 at 7:16 PM.

I’m surprised the simple fact that it’s right tilt made you not want it anymore. The advantages of a left tilt are equaled by advantages of a right tilt.

I have become conditioned over the years to using Left saws.

I don't recall ever using a Right saw, but for any off of 90 uses seems may be a hassle.

For ME doing it, stuff seems mirror image goofy backwards, so not as easy to picture in my mind.

Nevertheless, much beautiful Old Arn (which I WAY prefer) ... is Right.

I don't know about the European panel sliders, I don't need that.

If I happen across a nice one, and have the $, maybe I'll re think it ? Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 10-08-2017 at 10:39 PM.

as far as left or right tilt for most of my work there is enough table on either side of the blade that I am not sure it matters. I am right handed so I do not now what affect that may have anyway.
    Bill D.

I had a left tilt TS, then got a right tilt. Took about 1 minute to adapt. For a right handed person, I find it more comfortable with the RT as long as I have support for the work piece on the left side. I wouldn't shy away from a TS because it tilts one way or the other.

John