Thread: Cloudy finish when doing mid-coat sanding

Cloudy finish when doing mid-coat sanding

Well, I'm on the finish step of a project I've been doing and I'm using waterlox original (sealer/finish) and a final coat of waterlox satin finish.

I did two coats of waterlox, did a light sanding with 320 then applied the satin finish. I noticed that when I did the sanding there was like a cloudy appearance. I thought the coat finish may get rid of it, but it didn't. I gave another sanding (light) with 320, then 400 and it still has this cloudy appearance. I tried to wipe it off, used little water too, but it just comes right back. The coats are thick enough at least, that no stain is coming through, but any idea what causes this cloudiness and how I can avoid/prevent/get rid of it?

I attached some photos - this is after the sanding with 320, then 400.

Thank you!

IMG_2457.jpgIMG_2456.jpg

That's normal. if the surface is cloudy after the finish, then u have an issue. But it is almost always cloudy after sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    That's normal. if the surface is cloudy after the finish, then u have an issue. But it is almost always cloudy after sanding.
    Yeah, so it was actually cloudy after the finish. Then I re-sanded it again.

I continued to sand it a bit more with 400, then wiped it down with mineral spirits and wiped off. It still had some cloud, but I applied another coat of the finish, so will see if this time is any better.

Blog Entries
    Hmm, if you have a problem and you are applying more finish you are just burying it deeper. I would sand back before adding additional film.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Hmm, if you have a problem and you are applying more finish you are just burying it deeper. I would sand back before adding additional film.
    Well, i did sand it down more before applying again.. but it did still have some cloud - but that's normal after sanding? I guess will find out, if its still there will hit it harder. I read also that it could go away after curing more? It had only been about 24 hrs since I applied it - maybe that was the issue...

It does't look cloudy to me; it looks like your sand paper just took off the high spots. If that's right if will all look like that when you sand down enough to get a truly flat surface. One of two coats after that should do it and they should come out clear.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    It does't look cloudy to me; it looks like your sand paper just took off the high spots. If that's right if will all look like that when you sand down enough to get a truly flat surface. One of two coats after that should do it and they should come out clear.

John
    Great, thanks. It's looking good so far