Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any fans of SRV blues guitar style?

Blog Entries

Any fans of SRV blues guitar style?

While reading up and listening to Bo Diddle, watching his videos and such I became curious about B.B.King, an artist I'd spent little time on, I came across this 16 year old girl from Australia.
    She just blew me away. And to think, she's only been playing guitar for 3 years.
    One guy made a comment about this or one of her many other YouTube videos that she makes too much facial distortion. I like how one guy responded with "She's not a performer. She's an artist."
    I have to agree. Big difference.

https://youtu.be/RrlCyFVtFLE

I like many SRV tunes. A good impromptu video on YouTube is "Sound Check."

Blog Entries
    "Any fans of SRV blues guitar style?"

You mean there are some who aren't? You can follow this style back to before Leo ever thought about a Stratocaster. Blind Lemon Jefferson and Robert Johnson for example. Stevie was one practitioner who had the gift, that is for sure. I can't even imagine the level he or Jimi would be playing at if they had lived longer.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-30-2017 at 9:27 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

She's very expressive and when you consider that this style is "all feels", she gets it right. Amazing young artist...Orithani may have some young competition in the guitar chops from this girl!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    "Any fans of SRV blues guitar style?"

You mean there are some who aren't? You can follow this style back to before Leo ever thought about a Stratocaster. Blind Lemon Jefferson and Robert Johnson for example. Stevie was one practitioner who had the gift, that is for sure. I can't even imagine the level he or Jimi would be playing at if they had lived longer.
    It was a movie, Crossroads with Ralph Macchio and Joe Seneca that turned me to listening to more of the blues. The movie was linked to the life of Robert Johnson.

Listening to the young girl get down on her guitar was refreshing. She is good.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries

I wonder how she would do playing Scuttle Buttin - well not really.

A good friend of mine, Alan Iglasias, is a biggest fan of SRV style and SRV that I know. He has an active SRV tribute band in Southern California: http://www.alaniglesias-and-crossfire.com/
    Guitar fans might like to see what he uses: http://www.alaniglesias-and-crossfire.com/ The one I played felt great (and sure looked "authentic").

(Alan and I were both active in the 3D computer graphics, modeling, and animation field and visited often)

Alan even tracked down the person who made Stevie's hats and commissioned one for himself!

If in CA and like Stevie maybe look him up!

I'll check out the video, thanks.

JKJ

I listened to some of the demo tunes and he is good.

Blog Entries
    Who do you consider to be the best blues guitarist performing today?

Blog Entries
    I saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd when he opened for Dylan in 1996. Don't hear much about him lately. Any other current blues artists similar to SRV?
    I suddenly became interested in his style after stumbling upon Eva Kourtney while looking for B.B
    King and Bo Diddley videos. Never have been a huge fan of King, though. Doesn't play enough during songs. Similar, in my opinion, to Clapton. It's as though they'd rather sing than play guitar.
    Probably get rebuffed for that, but that's my take. Play the $&#! guitar, man !!!
    Last edited by Bill Jobe; 10-09-2017 at 4:07 AM.

Blog Entries
    I hear a blues guitar in my head all day long anymore, and my mind creates the way it's played and it somehow works, though I have zero musical talent. Can't even read music. I just know what I like when I hear it.

My favorite style of music! She is really good. You really need to watch the whole video as she works down to the short strings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Dozier View Post
    My favorite style of music! She is really good. You really need to watch the whole video as she works down to the short strings.
    Oh, I have. Many times. Hard to believe she's only been playing guitar for 3 years.

Gotta throw Joe Bonamassa in the thread. An excellent guitarist and singer, I listen to a lot of his music