Thread: Loose tenons for holding benchtop in place

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Loose tenons for holding benchtop in place

I am building a Roubo style bench in one place and then moving it to another place where I may end up moving it around, as I expand or change the shop space. Therefore I am considering making a bench that can be broken into pieces for moving. The small bench I have been using is made to break down. The top on the bench I have been using is held in place with small "standard" dowels which has always worried me.

One of my design issues is whether or not to run structural support, between the legs, width only. Running structural support lengthwise may get in the way when clamping to the top, whereas support between the legs on each end may help hold the legs in place without getting in the way of clamps etc. I should add that I expect the top of my bench to be 3 1/2- 4" thick x 7' x 20-24". Making structurally independent end "frames" that can be removed from the top and stretchers is a common design tactic for benches that may need to be moved. I have Benchcrafted bolts designed for holding the legs to the stretchers.

Holding the top in place on the frame is an issue. I am currently considering making or buying: much larger, hardwood, straight grain, loose tenons, probably round (dowels) to reduce the chance of splitting. Loose tenons could be removed and adjusted if the top expands or contracts. The mortise holes in the top could also be adjusted if loose tenons are used.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 10-05-2017 at 11:04 AM.