Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Just got a Cell Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post
    I think the new iPhones won't ring while driving unless you indicate that you're a passenger and NOT driving.
    Only if you configure that new feature...it's off by default in iOS 11. It's also applicable beyond just the iPhone 8/8S and X as it's an operating system option.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I've kept my land line because the cell reception is really bad where I live and my business is behind the house. While here I forward my cell ( which is my business number) to my landline and leave the cell lying on the dining table all the time I'm home.
    Had the same problem in Coppell TX with all of the carriers - switched to T Mobile due to their Wi-Fi calling capability and dumped the landline

Thanks for the feedback. I'm finding short simple texting does save me time. Overall I'm happy I cut the cord on the landline.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I'm finding short simple texting does save me time.
    Honestly, this family uses text messaging a LOT, even between one end of the house and the other, such as between my office and Professor Dr. SWMBO's office which are at opposite ends and a one floor difference in elevation. Sometime non-real-time communication is more efficient than "talking", quite frankly. (or shouting, as the case may be... )
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I've had a cellphone (I think I'm on #10) since 1996. The compulsion to answer every call went away years ago--I wouldn't have gotten any work done. The one bit of wisdom from a former member here that flipped that mental switch for me was, "I pay for the phone, I decide when to use it".
    If these are business calls I hope you return them at some point. I can understand that stopping to constantly answer calls keeps you from doing paying work. If you get enough calls maybe you need to hire an inexpensive receptionist.

I can't stand businesses that don't answer calls and never return voicemails. Maybe the business is booked out too far to take on new work, but at least tell me that. One business I deal with never answers the phone or returns voicemails. I pretty much have to go over there to get an answer on anything. I had the owner's cell phone for a time, but I misplaced it. I understand my project might not get started for two to three months, but if you don't return phone calls I can't even schedule the work. I actually need to talk to them about a project so I might have to take a day off work this week and make the 50 mile round trip to go over there.

I forgot my cell phone when I went out to run errands today. I didn't really care about the calling, emailing, and texting part. I wanted the phone to use Google Maps. There was a major highway closure this weekend and I needed routes around that. I know how to get everywhere if the highway was open.

I should have a paper map in the car, but I am not even sure where to get a paper map anymore.

Brian, my daughter, who accompanied me to Florida last week to visit my parents, asked me why I was using Google Maps since I clearly know how to get where I'm going. The simple answer was so that I would be re-routed if there were traffic issues and for judging travel time based on actual traffic conditions. So yea...I would have been uncomfortable being out and about without that application when dealing with a closure and the resulting "interesting" traffic conditions!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Honestly, this family uses text messaging a LOT, even between one end of the house and the other, such as between my office and Professor Dr. SWMBO's office which are at opposite ends and a one floor difference in elevation. Sometime non-real-time communication is more efficient than "talking", quite frankly. (or shouting, as the case may be... )
    I'm trying. I have an iphone 4. It doesn't have voice text and I have have big slow fingers.

I got in trouble with my spouse last night. She was gone overnight and my phone was on silent as I dosed on the couch. I turned on the volume to get in bed and saw she called twice and texted once. She even left a voicemail saying she was in in accident to test my night time emergency response ability! Oops, I called her and verified she was OK and explained. OK must leave phone on at all times. Went bed to be awakened at 5AM by a text from her that she accidentally texted me instead of her sister. I asked her if there's a way to silence the text but not the ability to get a phone call. More trouble. Evidently the cell phone users in our family need to be in touch by all methods 24 hours a day!
    To be fair, my wife's really stressed about a rebellious grandchild right now. I learned a long time time ago to say "yes dear" promptly to avoid trouble. However the switch from a landline to cell has me baffled as far as the relationships in my family go.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Learning to be responsive to texts and calls is a heck of a lot cheaper than a good divorce attorney... 'Just sayin...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I forgot my cell phone when I went out to run errands today. I didn't really care about the calling, emailing, and texting part. I wanted the phone to use Google Maps. There was a major highway closure this weekend and I needed routes around that. I know how to get everywhere if the highway was open.

I should have a paper map in the car, but I am not even sure where to get a paper map anymore.

AAA Still has nice maps. Rand McNally still does their big map book, but you have to order them online these days, or search a brick and mortar store. I still have one in each car.
    I like Google Maps for the traffic updates. Very convenient.

It's kind of funny because when we're out in public together, I don't keep my phone with me. I had a person ask why not, and I replied that my wife was right next to me, why would I need it. If we're not together, I do have it with me.
    They're convenient and can definitely aid people, but to be a slave to one is just not for me.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I'm trying. I have an iphone 4. It doesn't have voice text and I have have big slow fingers.

I got in trouble with my spouse last night. She was gone overnight and my phone was on silent as I dosed on the couch. I turned on the volume to get in bed and saw she called twice and texted once. She even left a voicemail saying she was in in accident to test my night time emergency response ability! Oops, I called her and verified she was OK and explained. OK must leave phone on at all times. Went bed to be awakened at 5AM by a text from her that she accidentally texted me instead of her sister. I asked her if there's a way to silence the text but not the ability to get a phone call. More trouble. Evidently the cell phone users in our family need to be in touch by all methods 24 hours a day!
    To be fair, my wife's really stressed about a rebellious grandchild right now. I learned a long time time ago to say "yes dear" promptly to avoid trouble. However the switch from a landline to cell has me baffled as far as the relationships in my family go.
    You need this app: Swype It is almost as fast and accurate as voice texting.

I have a cell from Verizon, an LG3... it's okay but a little bulky and actually little hard to hear callers... I liked my flip phone much better. The only reason I got a cell to start with is a few years back when the wife and I were both working we worked in Houston and were on opposite sides of the city over 60 miles apart... on one of her commutes she got clipped by another driver that sent her spinning across 5 lanes of traffic and back... fortunately she wasn't hurt and the car wasn't damaged, but I was unaware until I got home some 2 hours later... she had a cell but I didn't.... I got one right away in case of another such accident... we neither use the phone while driving. I switched to the smartphone last year when I needed a phone that I could use at my craft booth on Saturdays to take credit cards. That is my primary use of the phone and to check on my wife at home as her health is now no so good.... I have contemplated dropping the land line and going to straight cells since we both have one, but my internet is on a DSL that I would lose if I drop the landline... I would have to go to Satellite service for the internet and don't think would save all that much, plus would have change all of my email addresses and sign ins, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    I have a cell from Verizon, an LG3... it's okay but a little bulky and actually little hard to hear callers... I liked my flip phone much better. The only reason I got a cell to start with is a few years back when the wife and I were both working we worked in Houston and were on opposite sides of the city over 60 miles apart... on one of her commutes she got clipped by another driver that sent her spinning across 5 lanes of traffic and back... fortunately she wasn't hurt and the car wasn't damaged, but I was unaware until I got home some 2 hours later... she had a cell but I didn't.... I got one right away in case of another such accident... we neither use the phone while driving. I switched to the smartphone last year when I needed a phone that I could use at my craft booth on Saturdays to take credit cards. That is my primary use of the phone and to check on my wife at home as her health is now no so good.... I have contemplated dropping the land line and going to straight cells since we both have one, but my internet is on a DSL that I would lose if I drop the landline... I would have to go to Satellite service for the internet and don't think would save all that much, plus would have change all of my email addresses and sign ins, etc....
    Chuck, I'd be surprised if your carrier took away the DSL just because you no longer need the land line. Don't know how much you would save just by dropping phone service but DSL only should be cheaper (plenty of people do this and use Voice Over IP phones instead).

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Chuck, I'd be surprised if your carrier took away the DSL just because you no longer need the land line. Don't know how much you would save just by dropping phone service but DSL only should be cheaper (plenty of people do this and use Voice Over IP phones instead).
    Andy, in many areas, DSL is tied to a land line whether you want the land line or not....forced bundling...and they can get away with that.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Andy, in many areas, DSL is tied to a land line whether you want the land line or not....forced bundling...and they can get away with that.
    Thanks Jim - surprised at that as they aren't going to take the copper away even with no service, and some revenue would surely be better than none. The mysteries of the telco business model I guess