Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Combination Plane and Lee Valley feedback

Ok...since the tray for the Maple Project was looking a might plain....decided to try to make a bead around the top edge...
    IMG_2196 (640x480).jpg
    Set up the #45 with a #23 Bead Cutter.....would have to look up the size...but
    IMG_2197 (640x480).jpg
    Fence was set up even with the "outside" quirk, which is also where the skate is.
    IMG_2199 (640x480).jpg
    I started clear back there, and worked my way back towards me...
    IMG_2198 (640x480).jpg
    No depth stop used, I let the shape of the bead tell me when it was done. I worked my way around all four sides..
    IMG_2200 (640x480).jpg
    Only one corner had a blow-out, due to the pin breaking out. Had to keep clearing the cutter area..
    IMG_2202 (640x480).jpg
    Almost like a Pasta Bowl? Finally got the edges all done..
    IMG_2204 (640x480).jpg
    Maybe I'll sand things later?

Did not take all that long to set up and do...
    BTW: The wood is Hard Maple.....

I use about 14 passes to cut a 1/2 inch bead and about 9 to cut a 1/4 inch bead.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post

Link?
    Have to correct myself it's on page 10. I have no link just a glossy brochure. The front page clearly shows the top of the fence is exactly in line with the casting, front and back. That is different to how mine is assembled.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I use about 14 passes to cut a 1/2 inch bead and about 9 to cut a 1/4 inch bead.
    What sort of plane are you using that you can get good results with a 1/32" cut? I do that with cambered Jack and Fore planes, but not with a beading iron in a plough/combo.

For the record I don't doubt that you can do it. I know better than to question that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Have to correct myself it's on page 10. I have no link just a glossy brochure. The front page clearly shows the top of the fence is exactly in line with the casting, front and back. That is different to how mine is assembled.
    Is this the brochure? http://www.leevalley.com/us/html/Com...e2017USpdf.pdf

A 1/4 inch bead is only 1/8 inch deep. The width of a bead is a diameter, the depth is the radius. I was using a 45 plane, which was designed for architectural work. We generally use high quality wood for mouldings.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    A 1/4 inch bead is only 1/8 inch deep. The width of a bead is a diameter, the depth is the radius. I was using a 45 plane, which was designed for architectural work. We generally use high quality wood for mouldings.
    Ugh, I hate it when I bungle simple math :-). Thanks for the correction!

For people following at home: Warren is describing an 0.018" cut. That's easily within the capacity of the 45 (or of the LV, which is patterned on the 45), though a bit adventurous for me :-).
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-09-2017 at 9:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Thanks, I'd never seen that brochure.

Somebody did indeed overset the nicker of the example on p. 10 at some point and then try to run the fence under it. I wonder if that was one of their WIA samples? I'm surprised they missed that when they set up for the photo shoot though.

I just went and looked at my Stanley 55, which is an older type with sliding nickers like the LV, and sure enough some previous owner had done the same thing with it as well. I wonder if that was one of the things that motivated Stanley's switch to fixed-depth ("clover-leaf style") nickers. The Stanley has 0.06" of clearance between fence and main skate, so it has basically the same [non-]issues in this regard as the LV.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-09-2017 at 8:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Ugh, I hate it when I bungle simple math :-). Thanks for the correction!

For people following at home: Warren is describing an 0.018" cut. That's easily within the capacity of the 45 (or of the LV, which is patterned on the 45), though a bit adventurous for me :-).
    What is the capacity of a LV combo plane? (for an experienced user that is) ;-)

The LV has 0.0625" between the top of the fence casting and the skate bottom. This would be the same for the fence on the catalogue front page sample.

Thanks David for the link.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    What is the capacity of a LV combo plane? (for an experienced user that is) ;-)
    The LV has 0.045" from the top of the fence to the skate bottom, so that's the maximum practical iron extension. The wooden fence extends a tiny bit above the fence casting (even on the catalog cover picture - zoom in on it) so the distance from the fence casting top to skate is misleading/irrelevant.

The Stanley #55 is about 0.06" for comparison.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 10-09-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Guys, I've lost track of the point of all this dialogue. Are we nitpicking and beating dead horses again?

I mean, did William figure out how to use his new Combo? I got the impression he has - with your help - and that LV is going to give him a personal tutorial.

My only (remaining) question is will William come back and post what he learns from that tutorial?

Have a good day!
    Fred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Guys, I've lost track of the point of all this dialogue. Are we nitpicking and beating dead horses again?

I mean, did William figure out how to use his new Combo? I got the impression he has - with your help - and that LV is going to give him a personal tutorial.

My only (remaining) question is will William come back and post what he learns from that tutorial?

Have a good day!
    Fred
    +1 on what Fred said.

Hopefully William does continue this thread or starts another to tell us how things turn out with his personal tutorial.

It has been easy to lose track of things. For one, to me it still isn't clear whether the fence will slide under the skates or if the fence hits the skate. If it hits, that is a manufacturing problem.

This thread went a long way before it even got to the point of us knowing that was at the heart of the issue.

There are often commonalities in posts asking for help. These are often heightened by the poster's frustration over having a problem with a new, to them, tool that has everyone else drooling over it performance, convenience or special features.

On the other side it is difficult to render aid without knowing more about the situation. Pictures often help, but not everyone has access to a digital camera.

Then there is the basic problem of understanding one another. We have people from all over the world on this board. Yet one common joke about Canada, England, Australia, and the United States is the are four countries separated by a common language. Heck, often people from different parts of the U.S. can't understand each other. In the northeast if someone is having a hat attack you call a doctor, out west it means they bought a new topper.

Maybe English was the common language at the Tower of Babble.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Our intuitive era is a bit out of hand IMHO. Learning to use a combo is about like someone giving you all the ingredients to make an apple pie when the most difficult thing you have cooked is fried eggs. Sometimes that intuitive thing even sets you back. I remember climbing on a brand new backhoe after having run them for years and seeing the rabbit and turtle and thinking "what the h--- is that suppose to mean".
    Jim

I gave the #45 a little workout, today.....thought I'd try a double bead...
    IMG_2221 (640x480).jpg
    First, I made a single bead. Then moved things over a bit,,,,about a 1/4" or less, Wanted one quirk to ride in the right hand quirk of the first one..
    IMG_2223 (640x480).jpg
    Also found out that I do indeed need to set the depth stop......
    IMG_2224 (640x480).jpg
    Dado is from the Stanley #39-3/8" Dado plane. IF I wanted to add more beads, I would need to change to the long rods.
    Instead of buying those fancy multi bead cutters....I can just move the cut over. Not that I am cheap....them multi bead cutters are $$$!