Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new lathe questions

new lathe questions

I am looking to upgrade my current lathe. Budget is somewhat limited right now. Would love to have a laguna 18/36 but not just yet. I like the heft of the grizzly go462, but don't like the high speed of 600 on the low end. I like the low end speed of the Nova 1624 but do not like, what looks like to me, a light weight machine with not a very substantial base. What say you guys? Help a fellow out! Thanks!!

I don't recommend the G0462, it was my first lathe and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. You never mentioned what you were upgrading from or what you hope to turn.
    Fred

upgrading from a benchtop lathe 10x18. Looking to turn bigger bowls and platters.

I started with a small lathe and soon upgraded to the Nova 1624 and it was a wonderful machine which served me well. I just recently purchased the G0766 and have been very pleased. My advice is to buy the best that you can afford even if you need to postpone your purchase a little while. If not, you'll likely want to upgrade again in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul St.Onge View Post
    I am looking to upgrade my current lathe. Budget is somewhat limited right now. Would love to have a laguna 18/36 but not just yet. I like the heft of the grizzly go462, but don't like the high speed of 600 on the low end. I like the low end speed of the Nova 1624 but do not like, what looks like to me, a light weight machine with not a very substantial base. What say you guys? Help a fellow out! Thanks!!
    You can sometimes find a used Jet 1642 at a good price. 16" swing, long bed, heavy cast iron, good VFD for variable speed control, 1-1/4"x8 spindle threads, many are the 110v version, nearly bullet proof, a respectable lathe. You can push the headstock down to the end of the ways to turn outboard. I used mine for a bunch of years and kept it in the shop when I got a 20" swing Powermatic. I even bought a used one at a good price as a spare. Several clubs I know have the 1642 as their demo lathe.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 10-04-2017 at 10:19 PM. Reason: corrected spindle threading type

Hi Paul, I just upgraded from a midi lathe to a Jet 1640. Ordered it yesterday and should get it within a week. I did a lot of looking and reading and the Jet 1640 fit my budget. It has a very substantial (heavy) base. I believe shipping weight is 475 lbs. Good luck Paul and hope you find what you are looking for.

If you want to turn larger I would go with the slower speed. The Grizzly is 100 lbs heavier but it should not be too difficult to add ballast to the Nova. I've had my 1624 about 10 years and never added ballast but I have not turned outboard and very seldom turn over 14"
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

A used ejt or a vintage althe with riser blocks, assuming you are risk tolerant enough to buy an older machine. That being said, I have seen a lot of used jet machines go for short money lately.

Thanks guys!!! The hunt is on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul St.Onge View Post
    Thanks guys!!! The hunt is on!!
    Good luck!

Paul, I take it that you are on the hunt for a used lathe, but in the event you do not find something that fits the bill I would add this comment. I started with a HF 34706. Sold it and lost $125 - not bad. Bought a Delta 46-460 with an extension, sold it and lost $250. Bought a Jet 1642-2, sold it and lost $600. This doesn't count the hundreds of dollars I spent upgrading chucks, larger steady rest (twice!), toolrests, and on and on.

Bought the Laguna Revo 1836, love it and I no longer have a desire for a larger lathe.

Moral of the story - as has been stated, buy the best you can afford and if you can't afford it now - wait.

The HF lathe I don't count as a loss as it was purchased to turn some table legs and got me hooked on turning. Hmmm....maybe that is really where the problem lies! But, among the others I lost $850, plus probably another $800 or more on accessory upgrades. When I bought the second lathe - the Delta, in hindsight I could have easily bought the large lathe I really wanted and probably be money ahead.

It is common to keep upgrading, but it can get expensive.

Left click my name for homepage link.

If you live in Ohio, I noticed that there is a used Jet 1642 for sale on the AAW forum.
    Bill

Nope. Live in far west ky. Anyone know when some of the woodturning retailers run their machines on sale??

Related question: I just pulled the trigger and purchased a Nova 1644. Which Jaw chuck should I get ? It need to be reversible. My WoodRiver chuck works great and I will need to upgrade to a 1 1/4 drive, but reversing capability may not be possible with this chuck. Tnanx

My Woodcraft flyer today had the SuperNova 2 on sale for $129.99 which is a good chuck at a good price. BTW you'll need a threaded insert which is sold separately.