Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive but accurate chopsaw / mitre saw / sliding compound mitre saw?

Inexpensive but accurate chopsaw / mitre saw / sliding compound mitre saw?

I'm currently running a Kobalt 12 inch dual bevel sliding compound mitre saw. It was a Christmas gift, and at the time I hadn't gotten as deeply into woodworking as I am now. It is an ok saw, it is ok for the price I guess, but I have a very hard time keeping it square. I like the capacity, I can chop very wide material but I find that I just cannot get an accurate square cut out of it. At this point I rough cut on this saw, and do my final cuts by cross cutting on the table saw, mostly just to square it up.

Does anyone have any tips for squaring up the Kobalt? The laser is just ok, I hate that its on the right side of the blade, I'd prefer on the left, or on both sides of the kerf, and I can get the laser aligned with the blade, but its a bear to just get the blade squared to the fence. I can get close, but not perfect. Anything wider than three inches and its out of square. If you're chopping 2x4's or framing, this saw is just fine.

Shall I just move on to something better? If so, what is a good compromise on price / accuracy? I don't want to throw down for a green tool. There's gotta be a decent big box option for an accurate chop saw.

Thanks for any advice.

You don't say where you are but Craigslist is your friend. Decide on a brand and model and scour Craigslist. It'll take time but eventually you'll find a reasonable priced used saw.

I had a Bosch 12 inch that was pretty accurate and kept it's alignment.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 10-03-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Youtube videos on how to square a Kobalt SLCM, involves a few tools and some patience, can't guarantee it will stay that way but that is where to start.

The issue is not getting it square it is will it hold its settings, like John ^ said. This is the big issue with radial arm saws and really any of the cheaper brand machines.

I would move on to something better. That echelon of tools are best suited for the contractor.

Fine WW'ing has an excellent review on miter saws. As I recall the Bosch, DW and Rigid were the best.

You can go the CL route just keep in mind whether its been bouncing around in a pickup from site to site. Around me the 10" saws go for considerably cheaper.

I use a Bosch GCM12SD, which is not a cheap or poorly designed piece of equipment. In order to do any better, I would have to consider something much more expensive like the Festool Kapex. As it is, I use a table saw and cross cut sled if I want the very best accuracy.

There are lots of old iron RAS's around for low low prices if you have room.

For woodworking I look at a miter saw as just a chop saw to break down long boards to rough length. Anything requiring precision cross cuts and repeatable cross cuts goes on the table saw sled. I have just a cheaper 12” hitachi and honestly it may not even be at exactly 90 as I don’t care too much if it is.

The real use the miter saw gets is for home improvement projects like cutting trim.

But, that is just how I work so for me an accurate miter saw is not a high priority.

What crosscut capacity do you need?

@ 90 ? or ?

And how LONG are these wide boards you will be cutting?

It matters.

Are these boards "too long" to safely cut on your tablesaw ?

I'm planning on crosscutting 29" wide x 7 ft long pieces (on a special made sled and extension tables) on my tablesaw, cause I need close to that 3" depth.

Even though most newer sliders have ballpark similar capacities, your info may still help. Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 10-06-2017 at 6:54 AM.

I have the Hitachi 12 inch dual bevel compound sliding miter saw and absolutely love it. It's the C12RSH2 and set me back about $400 at Lowe's. I think theyre 450 but I had a %10 off coupon and got another 5% off with my Lowe's card. There are people out there that won't use them for fine stuff but I have never been off on anything I have built using mine and I use it for every project and might I say I make some damn quality stuff. It is, however, not as cheap as you may want but I have found that you get what you pay for in miter saws, like most things.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I'm with Brad. If you don't need portability, an old RAS will be more accurate, more versatile, likely have more capacity, and cost a whole lot less than a quality sliding miter saw. Old Dewalts and Deltas show up regularly around me for less than $500. My Dewalt and I were born in the same year, 1954 and, unlike me, has lost none of its capabilities.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    There are lots of old iron RAS's around for low low prices if you have room.
    This for the win

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I'm with Brad. If you don't need portability, an old RAS will be more accurate, more versatile, likely have more capacity, and cost a whole lot less than a quality sliding miter saw. Old Dewalts and Deltas show up regularly around me for less than $500. My Dewalt and I were born in the same year, 1954 and, unlike me, has lost none of its capabilities.

John
    Plus, old tools have an awesomeness factor Big box store tools don't.

Looking back on the OP thread, I think a few of us - Mostly myself.. got involved down the "max crosscut" road.

So, reading it again I don't think he has a more than average need for wide crosscuts.. he was just saying the angle was off.

OP has yet to respond, but sounds like he just needs a better slider. mitersaw. Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    Looking back on the OP thread, I think a few of us - Mostly myself.. got involved down the "max crosscut" road.

So, reading it again I don't think he has a more than average need for wide crosscuts.. he was just saying the angle was off.

OP has yet to respond, but sounds like he just needs a better slider. mitersaw. Marc

I agree. RAS's are a better slider - mitersaw. Mine has about 13" crosscut capacity and takes up no more depth than a SCMS with the same capacity. Even a Kapex won't cut any better. I paid $175 for my RAS. You get so much more saw for you money with these old RAS's that no one seems to want anymore.

John

Not an old green 9"-10" Dewalt, but maybe ok...

N of Pittsburgh, Beaver County - $80 Marc

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tl...294827645.html