Thread: Bolt-on Neck attachment trick

Bolt-on Neck attachment trick

Wondering if any other luthiers / guitar builders out there drill their pilots this way to force the neck tight into the pocket. I drill my guitar necks this way, out of habit, but wondered if anyone else does this. Basically if you look at the drawing, I run a 1/8" bit through the body holes and just kiss the neck for a mark. Then use a 3/32" pilot bit to drill the pilots into the neck, but I drill the pilots off-center, tight against the headstock side of the wall of the 1/8" bit mark.

This way, the screw runs into the off-center hole, then pulls the neck into the pocket as it tries to line up the holes back onto center. Seems pretty elementary, but not sure if others do this, or more likely, is not really needed if the neck fit is tight to begin with.
    NeckJamTrick.jpg
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

I'm not a luthier or builder, but am a player. Does this throw the scale off, or do you account for it in measuring length?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I'm not a luthier or builder, but am a player. Does this throw the scale off, or do you account for it in measuring length?
    why would it throw the scale off? all that is being done is to help force the neck tightly to the back of the neck pocket...any SMALL discrepancy
    is what adjustable (e.g. intonation) saddles are for.

Yep, it really doesn't move the neck deeper into the pocket enough to have to change saddle for intonation distance change, which is done after neck is seated anyway. What the trick accomplishes is "theoretical" increased resonance due to tighter contact at neck heel shoulder, but really is useful in that the tighter contact prevents pivoting if screws ever loosen over time. If there is a slight gap at heel shoulder (in conventional inline pilots) then its only the screws that prevent pivoting (occasional fall off a stand can cause this), whereas the tight neck in pocket (offset pilot trick) is another contact point.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.

I prefer to be the one to position the neck. Good pocket, good neck, clearance and away you go. Don't CNC my guitars so take my advice as such.

I would expect the string tension to push the neck tenon as far back into the body mortise as it can go..