Thread: johnsons paste wax

johnsons paste wax

I just turned a bowl and sanded it down to about 400 grit then using deff sanding sealer I let it dry for awhile,,,then used oooo steal wool on it,,,then I applied Johnson paste wax and buffed it out and the shine was really good,,,,it stood out like you applied shellac,,,plus was slick as glass,,,,i dont hear of others that has tried this but my question is,,how durable is the shine,, will it last or should I put something over it,,,,thank you

Jeff, how durable do you usually find this wax to be? It won't last a long time, the more it's handled the quicker it will loose it's shine.
    Len

Save your Johnsons Paste wax for your cast iron tool surfaces. Very good for that - not so much for a "finish" for wood.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 10-02-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Left click my name for homepage link.

what john said. It may look shiny now, but the more hands that touch it, your shine your will quickly disappear. I use shellac & lacquer on most of my projects, but that's just me. I like the looks of lacquer on most wood. It brings out the grain & the true look of the wood. I use the same on all my scroll saw projects, too.

Some woods, like cherry, for instance, lacquer has a tendency to darken it if used in extreme amounts.

but use the paste wax on your tools, not your wood.
    Sawdust703

I don't use Johnson's Paste Wax, but I do use a wax and oil mix on some of my stuff. I sun treat flaxseed oil and add beeswax to it. Both are food safe, I apply some of the "treated" flaxseed oil first, let it dry and the apply the beeswax and "treated" flaxseed oil paste. The shine won't dazzle you and it wears off but it does look nice. I also use the "treated" flaxseed oil on my homemade tool handles.

From what I was told years ago the sun treated flaxseed oil is sort of like a pure linseed oil without all of the chemicals you get in BLO. Made sense back then and I have seen some YouTube videos that says basically the same thing. Actually an artist taught me the sun treat process.

In basic training we put Johnson Floor Wax on the floor in the Barracks. It stood up well until we did it again the next day. Used GI Blankets to buff it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bulloch View Post
    In basic training we put Johnson Floor Wax on the floor in the Barracks. It stood up well until we did it again the next day. Used GI Blankets to buff it.
    I remember that well...

I dont think you'll be able to apply any other finish on top of this. Wont stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    I sun treat flaxseed oil. I apply some of the "treated" flaxseed oil first, let it dry . I also use the "treated" flaxseed oil on my homemade tool handles.

From what I was told years ago the sun treated flaxseed oil is sort of like a pure linseed oil without all of the chemicals you get in BLO. Actually an artist taught me the sun treat process.
    Could you enlighten us on how to "sun treat" flaxseed oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I dont think you'll be able to apply any other finish on top of this. Wont stick.
    Denatured alcohol dissolves wax. I would think you could remove enough with this to allow adhesion of another finish. Anyone ever tried this? How much did you have to wipe it to get adhesion?

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post
    Could you enlighten us on how to "sun treat" flaxseed oil?
    Basically, just follow the information in this guy's video. https://youtu.be/MaHHGnvKXn0 I get the flaxseed oil at a local health food store. I started making this years ago when an artist friend saw me using store bought BLO. She brought me a small bottle that she had made, I tried it, and have been making and using it for about 30 years. I also have added beeswax to it to make a paste wax of it. I still use BLO, everything has it's uses, even BLO.

I have been using good old Johnson's Paste Wax as a final polish for most of my turnings. But I usually do a french polish technique with DNA & Super Blonde Flake Shellac as a sealer and build up finish. Recently, being very cheap (frugal, I mean), I have tried to make my own version of a friction polish. I take about 2 cups of the DNA/Shellac mix, and add about 2 tablespoons of Johnson's Paste Wax in an old detergent bottle. Shake well, and it mixes fine. This proves to be an excellent final polish as well. Then to top it off, I use the dauber of cotton cloth with the solution dripped onto it, and add a few drops of Virgin Olive Oil, and VIOLA, I mean Voila - super shine. May not be as durable as a true French Polish, but it's quick and easy.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    I have been using good old Johnson's Paste Wax as a final polish for most of my turnings. But I usually do a french polish technique with DNA & Super Blonde Flake Shellac as a sealer and build up finish. Recently, being very cheap (frugal, I mean), I have tried to make my own version of a friction polish. I take about 2 cups of the DNA/Shellac mix, and add about 2 tablespoons of Johnson's Paste Wax in an old detergent bottle. Shake well, and it mixes fine. This proves to be an excellent final polish as well. Then to top it off, I use the dauber of cotton cloth with the solution dripped onto it, and add a few drops of Virgin Olive Oil, and VIOLA, I mean Voila - super shine. May not be as durable as a true French Polish, but it's quick and easy.
    Mark, I have read where other people use the mix your talking about but they add BLO to the mix.