Thread: How to haul an old Dewalt Radial Arm Saw

How to haul an old Dewalt Radial Arm Saw

I found a DeWalt 10" 1400 RAS on CL that I am going to buy. It was built in 1964 and is a little rusty but very original. My question is how to haul it safely without damaging it. As its not one of the monstrous ones (12" blade +), I was planning to lay it down on its back in a trailer on a moving blanket and tie it down securely. Its mounted on a square enclosed metal cabinet and not on 4 legs like the larger DeWalt RAS saws. If hauled upright, all the weight is up top at the motor and arm, and it is on castors. Will it hurt to lay it down on its back with the motor and arm sticking up? Should I tie down upright and put 2x6s under the cabinet to keep the castors off the ground? Need to travel about 220 miles with it like this in a smallish trailer. My guess is that its about 225 lbs. Any recommendations as I've not dealt with moving a RAS before? Thanks. Randy
    Last edited by Randall J Cox; 09-29-2017 at 11:08 AM. Reason: forgot a word

I would put some blocking between the saw and the column so the carriage is not supporting the motors weight. My 16" dewalt four bolts attach the base to the frame. Four hex socket screws hold the column to the base.
    They were rusted in and I had to drill them out once I got it home.. I removed the motor from the carriage for the move, cut the wires since they were over 60 years old and needed replacing anyways.
    Can the carriage be cranked all the way up and off the column? Mine had dried grease and took hours of wire brushing to get it up and off while it lay down in the back of my truck..
    Bring an old tire, no wheel, to lay it down on it's back.
    Bill

I would remove saw frame from base, and transport saw itself in the normal as used position. Secure motor as close to arm as possible of course... and I , myself, would put the saw on some layers of old comforter or something to absorb any road shock. Tie down of course. GREAT little saws, probably best ever made 9 - 10" RA. Marc

I don't know what the DeWalt is like, but when I moved my 10" Craftsman I slid the motor off the arm first. I think it only required removing a few screws and a stop. Mine was not on casters but perhaps they could be easily removed (or blocked up). I stood the saw upright and used several ratchet straps to secure it in the truck.

(BTW, any woodworker near east TN want a 10" Craftsman, 70's model, good shape, free to good home? Not enough room in the shop now. Maybe I'll mention it on the classifieds here.)

JKJ

I have moved radial arm saws on their backs. I move the motor all the way to the column and against the table to keep things from moving. If the table is gone, take a 2X6 to span across the base and rest the motor on that. I have also moved then upright with the motor out to the end of the arm resting on the table to take the weight of the motor and arm off the column. One strap wrapped around the column and secured to the front tie downs. Another around the column and secured to the rear tie downs and they don't go anywhere.

Like others here, I lowered mine until the motor rested on some blocking, then kept it upright for transport. On a related note, try to get a copy of the "Mr. Sawdust" book on these saws. Great reference with practical tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Perez View Post
    Like others here, I lowered mine until the motor rested on some blocking,
    +1

Then I laid it down on a tire, strapped for transport.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Perez View Post
    try to get a copy of the "Mr. Sawdust" book on these saws. Great reference with practical tips.
    +1
    Carpe Lignum

Kevin - WOW !! What a great link.

Thank You, Marc

Randall, you've probably already moved the saw at this point, but a few additional thoughts:

The motor and carriage are easy to remove. Just take the cap off of the end of the arm and slide it out the end. I don't know your model well, but my 3 hp 14" model GA has motor and carriage assembly that probably weights about 100 lbs. so removing it made a huge difference.

Also, one of my DeWalt MBFs (smaller than your saw) came on a cabinet. The saw and table frame simply rest on top of the cabinet. So it's easy to separate them.

Really no need to lay that saw on its back. Just take it off the cabinet, take the motor out, and transport it in three pieces.

Good luck! There's something about these old DeWalts that is addicting!! I have two MBFs and a GA. Kind of ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    There's something about these old DeWalts that is addicting!! I have two MBFs and a GA. Kind of ridiculous.
    Agreed! I keep fending off the urge to get a "friend" for my MBF.

Moved it Saturday. Laid it down on its back on 3 layers of doubled up moving blankets and put wooden blocks all around it on the floor to keep it from moving side to side and fore and aft and then tied it down securely with ratchet straps. Made the 220 mile trip in fine shape. Thanks for all the ideas. Randy