Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Starter" Planer - Which one, or Bad Idea?

You're going to need 220 in your shop. If your main electrical panel is not far from the shop/garage it should be easy to run a 220 extension cord. My mill and planer run on a 25' cord.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Andy,

I don't see how you can say that he's going to need 220 without knowing what he plans to do. I'm a renter and 220 isn't an option, yet I seem to get by just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by John M Wilson View Post
    ...have been saving my money for a high quality combo machine...this will be a temporary short-term fix...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Andy, I don't see how you can say that he's going to need 220 without knowing what he plans to do. I'm a renter and 220 isn't an option, yet I seem to get by just fine.
    Though you seem to have missed it, the OP was pretty clear about saving his $ for a quality machine, and asking about a short-term fix. Having been a woodworker for many decades I know that many quality machines require 220-volts. It is just fine with me that you get by without 220. I did when I first started out. But most of us will find ourselves needing it sooner or later. It isn't that hard. Even girls do it.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I have a old parks 12 planer and they can be found around. BTY The article about adjusting your planer from FWW is a parks 12". Make sure any planer you do buy can open deep enough to thickness the wood you will need. Is 4" enough or do you need 6"? for the occasional 6x6"

When I was adding tools to the shop I looked every time I went to HD or Lowes at their wire Remanent rack. I was able to buy #8 or #10 cord for a good price. Nothing more then ten feet or so. But nice to make extension cords, power cords, switch gear wiring to motors etc where you only need 18" or so.
    They often had 4 conductor cord for cheap(relative) that they do not even carry or order?
    Shortly after buying our current house I bought a good size coil of unisulated solid ground wire #12 or #10. it works great to tie plants up.
    Bill

What do you have now? Oh, right - nothing. So anything will be better than that. I found a good deal years ago, on a Riged lunch box, and like you, it was/will be a hundred times better than what you have now.

Is bigger and better better? Of course it is, but only if you can afford it and you need it. Maybe someday you will, but do you go without until then?

Maybe after you have it for awhile and use it a lot, and/or get a chance to use someone else's you might want a different one. Buy what you can, use it and learn, and then upgrade. You won't really be disappointed, because you have nothing to compare it with. Except to your hand plane, and it will be better than that.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

John, I have a 734. It is not my main planer but is a great portable that is far better than the older delta portable planer I first owned. I use it for finish planing at the shop or onsite at renovation-finishing jobs. Would recommend it highly ,bought mine used for 250. AS others have said buy it now and use it then sell when you move up. Good luck with your search, Mike.

At quick glance, the 735 is $600 at cpo, maybe new, looked quickly.
    I have not used either, but for the basically same price, definately go w the Craigslist offered above, and run some temp cord.

I've gotta believe that even though that is a newer ?non USA ?, still gotta be better.

At least I would research it first. Marc

Marc

John,

I agree with Bradley about buying a used one to fit your needs for the near future. When I started out, I bought new imports. I eventually outgrew them and wanted higher quality. With anything bought new (especially lower-quality stuff), you will take a hit on the resale price when you eventually sell it. As Bradley said, if you buy a used one, you can likely sell it in the future for what you paid for it.

Be careful about labeling any machine as the "ultimate" machine. Something you view now as the ultimate machine may not necessarily be your ultimate machine once you progress in your new hobby. There is always something better out there. The combo machines that you mentioned seem great at first, but if your hobby gets more serious, they can have limitations. I, personally, hate multi-use machines. They're great for small spaces and projects without time constraints, but if you have to go back and forth between operations, you waste a lot of time changing the machine back and forth and can lose settings in doing so. Plus, you never know where life will take you. I'm building my third shop now, and not sure that it'll be the last one.

As a teen, I used to want a Shopsmith so bad because I perceived them as one machine that could do anything. I could never afford one at the time. Now, I wouldn't take one if somebody offered to give one to me. There's always better machines out there.

Try to buy what you need now (used if you want to save money), and see where the journey takes you. I've seen guys spend a lot of money on things, only to lose interest in their hobby fairly quickly, or have to buy again once they figured out what they really wanted.

yes girls do it. I built,& wired my own shop & and bought all my own tools. I built my own house and wired it. I made all my furniture. Girls are good but Women do it even better.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    yes girls do it. I built,& wired my own shop & and bought all my own tools. I built my own house and wired it. I made all my furniture. Girls are good but Women do it even better.
    This is priceless, thank you for this response.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Westfall View Post
    What do you have now? Oh, right - nothing. So anything will be better than that. I found a good deal years ago, on a Riged lunch box, and like you, it was/will be a hundred times better than what you have now.

Is bigger and better better? Of course it is, but only if you can afford it and you need it. Maybe someday you will, but do you go without until then?

Maybe after you have it for awhile and use it a lot, and/or get a chance to use someone else's you might want a different one. Buy what you can, use it and learn, and then upgrade. You won't really be disappointed, because you have nothing to compare it with. Except to your hand plane, and it will be better than that.
    One thing about a smaller lighter planer is that you can take it places easily. this can come in handy for all sorts of things.

Quote Originally Posted by John McClanahan View Post
    I have a 735 and would recommend it. It has 3 knives and 2 speeds. Many lunchbox planers are 1 speed and 2 knives.
    Several commercial shops here in Columbus that buy a good bit of pre finished lumber also use this, and have for years. There is no shame at all in the DW 735.

I bought a used Dewalt 734 planer on craigslist that was only used once or twice for 225.00. Being my first planer, except for using a bigger planer in shop class in high school, I can say it will probably be my only planer to own. Does everything I throw at it, including my workbench tops, 3 1/2" thick by 12" wide by 71/2 feet long.

I have the 734, and I like it. Is it the one I would like to have? No, but I have it and I use it. A lot.

It paid for itself with the first job I did. Fiancee decided halfway through finishing our house that she wanted hardwood steps. So I priced pre-made treads from the store. And rough maple from the lumber yard. Ended up making the treads for 2/3 the cost of finished treads, including the price of the planer. (And better looking, too.)

If you are buying your lumber milled from the borg, find a lumber yard, get rough cut lumber, and mill it to the size you need. It will pay for itself easily. Plus, you quit thinking in multiples of 3/4"

BTW, I am still on the fist side of the first set of knives.