Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Starter" Planer - Which one, or Bad Idea?

"Starter" Planer - Which one, or Bad Idea?

I'm a relative woodworking noob, and to this point, I have used S4S lumber from one of the Borgs for my projects.

I do not have a planer, and have been saving my money for a high quality combo machine (buy once, cry once).

I had intended for my next project to be a barbecue cart, made out of cedar. The cedar boards at both local Borgs, however, have one rough side. I did manage to smooth one board out using hand planes, but (aside from the time) I realized that I was not going to end up with a consistent thickness among all the boards, and in some cases even within a single board. (Revealing my low level of Neander skills.) I know that having consistent stock prepared in the jointing/planing/cut-to-size method is crucial for getting beyond the handyman stage and earning my woodworking chops.

My conclusion: I need a planer (thicknesser). At the moment, I really don't have the space or the money for the ultimate machine (Hammer A3-31 or equivalent). So, even though I know it's more expensive in the long run, I'm thinking a small lunchbox planer would meet my needs until the dream machine is a reality.

So, here's my question (finally): Since this will be a temporary short-term fix, is the Dewalt 735 worth the extra $$ over the 734? Or should I keep my losses to the minimum, get the 734 and save the extra money for later? Or, is there an option I have overlooked?

I have been checking the local Craigslist, and the lunchbox planers that have been listed are either neglected used-up disasters, or priced within a couple dollars of a new unit, so I'm thinking of buying reconditioned from CPO.

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated...

I can't speak for the 734, but the 735 can serve you very well for a long, long time and have a higher resale when you do get the A3-31. Anytime someone asks about a portable planer the consensus is nearly unanimous for the 735. With either, it's best to invest in good quality cobalt knives since the ones that come on it wear pretty quickly.

Find one of the older Delta 13" heavy duty models. Mine produces no snipe.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Do get a cheaper planer for now. I would look on Craig's list for a used one - you can likely resell it for about what you pay for it

Blog Entries
    I ran a 734, dad ran a 735. Only real difference I noticed was that he had to change knives about twice as often. The 733 lacks a carriage lock which, in this format I feel is required to avoid snipe. The 735 does not require a carriage lock due to format.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Never used the 734, I own the 735 with the extra tables.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...DW734-vs-DW735

I believe that the 735 has slightly longer blades, which would have been a problem for me just yesterday if they were shorter.

Is the carriage lock mechanism thing an issue with the 734? No idea, because I have the 735.

The 735 does a great job of clearing chips, just saying. I don't think that the 734 has a blower for this. I also think that the 735 makes smaller chips.

If you go with a 735, be sure to get the in-feed and out-feed tables.

I use blades that have carbide tips, they last a lot longer, but cost more. I purchased mine from Holbren. The blades are thicker and do not require the extra blade holder. Well, you can't use the blade holder thing because it makes it too thick. Holbren currently sells them for about $170, but, they last a very long time, at least they do for me.

I don't use the two speeds on the 735, it is in the slower mode and that is how I use it. I think that the 733 has ONLY the faster mode, with fewer cuts per inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Never used the 734, I own the 735 with the extra tables.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...DW734-vs-DW735

I believe that the 735 has slightly longer blades, which would have been a problem for me just yesterday if they were shorter.

Is the carriage lock mechanism thing an issue with the 734? No idea, because I have the 735.

The 735 does a great job of clearing chips, just saying. I don't think that the 734 has a blower for this. I also think that the 735 makes smaller chips.

If you go with a 735, be sure to get the in-feed and out-feed tables.

I use blades that have carbide tips, they last a lot longer, but cost more. I purchased mine from Holbren. The blades are thicker and do not require the extra blade holder. Well, you can't use the blade holder thing because it makes it too thick. Holbren currently sells them for about $170, but, they last a very long time, at least they do for me.

I don't use the two speeds on the 735, it is in the slower mode and that is how I use it. I think that the 733 has ONLY the faster mode, with fewer cuts per inch.
    His 735 planed a bunch of 12/4 oak for a work bench i was building without incident. It made a believer out of me.

I have the 734 and have been happy, I picked mine up in a pawn shop for 225.00 and it looked like brand new, the blades had never been flipped over so after I flipped them it was like brand new. and I have been very happy with it, I know the 735 is a 13" with 2 speed and mine is a 12 1/2 with only 1 speed, but it does clear the chips just fine and I think it does have a blower in it My vac hose came off in the middle of a board and it blew chips all across my shop. and for what it is it does a great job,

The 734 is a great little machine. Had one for about a decade.

I have a 735 and would recommend it. It has 3 knives and 2 speeds. Many lunchbox planers are 1 speed and 2 knives.

Either one could last you for a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Do get a cheaper planer for now...
    I really don't understand this approach, buying 2 planers.

This is identical to the one I have. Perhaps the seller would be open to a reasonable offer.
    https://nashville.craigslist.org/tls...306987768.html
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I have the 734. It's the only planer I've owned. Been very happy with it. I typically hand plane one surface true, and then run it through the 734 to true the other side, and thickness. For the situation you describe (limited space, budget, and truing up borg stock), I think the 734 would serve you well.

Blog Entries
    I guess I should have mentioned that the 735 is 13" and the 734 is 12-1/2". Both are three knifed machines. As to floor machines, lunchbox planers are finish planers and this is what a lot of hobbyists may be after. Some floor machines run serrated steel feed rollers and while this is great for planing really rough stuff, many floor planer owners have posted about retrofitting rubber feed rollers for their machines. I just backed the tension way off on mine and the problem of the serrated rollers leaving marks is rare now. My point is that these are machines with a slightly different targeted use, not just large and small version of the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 15" floor machine and would recommend one to anyone. My 734 went to a pro shop with a couple of large floor machines and one DW-734 of their own. They wanted a spare 734 since they used it so much more than the larger machines. They didn't want to be without one if their current one got worked to death.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I really don't understand this approach, buying 2 planers.
    I agree it's not the most efficient way... but:
    1) I don't have a dedicated shop (yet) -- I'm working out of my garage that I use to park cars, so I have to put away my toys when I'm done playing.

2) I'm not wired for 240 volts (yet) -- which knocks out most of the old arn worth having, including the planer in the link.

3) I know I probably should be patient, and do things in the right order, but that seems to entail quite of bit of shop building before I get to woodworking building.

I don't want to waste money on something foolish, but it does seem that having correctly dimensioned lumber is fundamental to any project.

I know many others have faced similar circumstances, and appreciate the vast amount of experience and knowledge on the 'creek. Obviously, there are many paths, and I'm struggling to find mine, so I'm considering any and all comments. Thanks to all...
    Last edited by John M Wilson; 09-28-2017 at 6:12 PM. Reason: clarity