Thread: Caps

Caps

In this case I'm speaking specifically about Waterlox, but my question would apply to most cans of finish or anything that can harden. Waterlox has one of those push down, squeeze and turn types of caps. Like many of us, I have difficulty pushing down on the cap while at the same time squeezing and turning. I'm pretty careful to clean the area around the threads of the spout but even so it is still difficult. In fact, I had difficulty with a brand new can I just began to use.

So the question is if there is another type of top that I can purchase and substitute for the original or if there is something else that I can do to make these tops easier to open?

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Smith View Post
    In this case I'm speaking specifically about Waterlox, but my question would apply to most cans of finish or anything that can harden. Waterlox has one of those push down, squeeze and turn types of caps. Like many of us, I have difficulty pushing down on the cap while at the same time squeezing and turning. I'm pretty careful to clean the area around the threads of the spout but even so it is still difficult. In fact, I had difficulty with a brand new can I just began to use.

So the question is if there is another type of top that I can purchase and substitute for the original or if there is something else that I can do to make these tops easier to open?
    For Waterlox and anything that has a similar shelf life I would decant into one of the widely available storage bags. Lee Valley and eBay have them and they'll prolong the life by excluding air and you won't have the cap or dispensing issue http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...190,44133&ap=1

Blog Entries
    Lee Valley bags are the bomb. For most bothersome containers I just cut away the "child-proof" part of other caps leaving the inner functional cap.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

May i suggest you get the bags from the website of the maker? I did, and He has great service. My order was not able to be filled right away, and I was sent a bit extra to make up for that, and a very nice personal note.

stoplossbags.com

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Smith View Post

Herb, I don't use Waterlox but are you referring to the type of lid that has a steel threaded cap under a plastic over-cap that you press down to engage? If so, if they are stubborn my patience with them is short: I pry off the plastic cap and use pliers on the metal lid. I have some channel-lock type pliers with a jaw design that grips the lid in four places so it doesn't deform. I've been doing this for years.

BTW, for any finish that will harden (e.g. TruOil) I displace the air with inert gas before putting on the lid or cap. I happen to have an extra cylinder of nitrogen with a regulator so I use that but argon, CO2, or an amazingly expensive can of Bloxygen (argon) all work well.

JKJ