Thread: Computer hardware people.. keyboard keys help

Computer hardware people.. keyboard keys help

Hey all,
    I have an Acer Aspire R7 laptop that has a convertible screen. It was one of the very first or second generation laptops that allowed you to flip the screen around or lay it flat and use it as a tablet, drawing tablet, landscape or portrait, etc..

I absolutely love this computer and have since the first day I got it. So much so that I came very very close to buying a second one and leaving it in the box for when this one gave up the ghost.

Well suddenly Im having these odd issues mostly with the S and the D key. I want to say they are not responding with some trash under the key or something but then sometimes in seems like they are just lagged. So as of late I have been using compressed air to try to blow any debris out from under the keys which has worked at times an other times not. Today I took to using a small flat tool to pop the S and the D key off and blow out beneath and thoroughly cleaned the back side of the key with denatured alcohol a reinstalled them and now very very rarely I am getting some issue with the G key but still having random issues with the S and D. The G key coming into play makes me think I blew some piece of something to another key but the randomness and the laggy feel has me wondering.

Is there some sort of solvet type pot cleaner I should try spraying? Should I try removing all the keys (oy vey) and blowing out the keyboard?

Any ideas are appreciated. I love this computer and dread the day it gives up the ghost. I rarely find a laptop I like as much as I like this computer. Be hard to replace.

Thanks

I can't speak for that particular one but I've replaced a few laptop keyboards including an Acer my daughter had that got juice spilled on the keyboard (and not by the kid!) They have been cheap to buy and easy to replace, usually with YouTube videos available to show the process.

Usually under the keys there is a rubber gasket laying on top of the actual connections of the key....not sure if blowing without removing that is really helping much..

Thank guys. Im not seeing a rubber gasket. Now that mat mentions it... years ago a coffee small coffee spill hit the keyboard but has been no issues til now. I am assuming the keyboards are model specific. Im going to start the search. Id rather swap out the keyboard. All else seems fine. But then the voodoo hits and you fix something and all heck starts breaking loose lol. Thanks.

Just like Matt, I also replaced my Laptop keyboard.
    It was on a Gateway made by Acer. I got the replacement keyboard from Amazon for around $15. Gateway.com had instructions for my exact model. It was very easy to do.
    Like Barry, I do believe there was some type of rubber cover between the keys and the contacts but not 100% sure.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I can't speak for that particular one but I've replaced a few laptop keyboards including an Acer my daughter had that got juice spilled on the keyboard (and not by the kid!) They have been cheap to buy and easy to replace, usually with YouTube videos available to show the process.
    I'd go along with Matt - install a new one. Oftentimes it's a matter of unplugging one ribbon cable and plugging in another. The trick is to know how to remove the things that hold the keyboard in. I had to do similar with an HP Netbook years ago, the manual was on HPs site. Depending on the manufacturer, some post pdfs of the maintenance manual including part #s and procedures to remove/replace components. IBM/Lenovo has been good about this, don't know about others.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 09-27-2017 at 9:22 AM.

Try some of this:crc dcf.jpg
    -it's essentially dry cleaning fluid, works great, evaporates relatively quickly, and it's totally non conductive and non flammable- I've sprayed this stuff right into running electric motors to clear out carbon dust, motors run normally. Pull all your keys off and spray where needed. Some compressed air to speed up the evap would help.

And go outside, the smell is pretty rich!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle