Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone here brush on paint for face frame cabinets/raised panels?

I've heard oil based paints are no longer legal in some states.

Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post

Is this true?
    As I understand it in Maine - we can only purchase quarts. I don't know the details and it might be dealers choice but as I don't have access to many stores locally. I only know that from my sources I am limited to 1 quart cans.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post

Finally - I discovered Sherwin Williams PRO CLASSIC. This stuff is light years better than the ADVANCE. No comparison.
    Sam, these two products are entirely different kinds of finishes. Advance is an emulsified alkyd paint in a water carrier...and that's why it requires the longer dry time between coats. It's essentially an oil based paint. It also has a longer cure time for the same reason. But properly applied, it's very durable. I don't find it "thin", either, although it sags easily. in fact, I've found it more difficult to spray because of it's native viscosity. ProClassic, on the other hand, is a 100% acrylic finish. It has a totally different feel and can be recoated quickly. It still has a cure time, however, relative to durability. The challenge with ProClassic (until recently and only if your local SW dealer stocks more fully) is that it was limited to lighter colors only. There was no deep base. They apparently have fixed that now, but I haven't asked my local dealer if they carry the deep base or not. And to be fair, ProClassic is also difficult to spray because it's darn thick...but it's excellent for brushing and that's how I apply it. BTW, BM's Impervo 100% acrylic is similar to ProClassic.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sam, these two products are entirely different kinds of finishes. Advance is an emulsified alkyd paint in a water carrier...and that's why it requires the longer dry time between coats. It's essentially an oil based paint. It also has a longer cure time for the same reason. But properly applied, it's very durable. I don't find it "thin", either, although it sags easily. in fact, I've found it more difficult to spray because of it's native viscosity. ProClassic, on the other hand, is a 100% acrylic finish. It has a totally different feel and can be recoated quickly. It still has a cure time, however, relative to durability. The challenge with ProClassic (until recently and only if your local SW dealer stocks more fully) is that it was limited to lighter colors only. There was no deep base. They apparently have fixed that now, but I haven't asked my local dealer if they carry the deep base or not. And to be fair, ProClassic is also difficult to spray because it's darn thick...but it's excellent for brushing and that's how I apply it. BTW, BM's Impervo 100% acrylic is similar to ProClassic.

Thanks for the clarification Jim. Still, all that being said - for hand brushing I will never again use Advance when Pro Classic is available. I should give Impervo another chance though. With Pro Classic I recently achieved a hand painted surface on some cabinetry that was, by far, the best in years. Could have been due to a number of factors of course - can't dismiss temperature and humidity. I wasn't paying that much attention but all those ducks might have been perfectly lined up. The ducks in my repeated Advance experience were apparently all dead .
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Oh trust me...I love ProClassic. My kitchen lowers, trim and wainscot is covered in it as is the trim in other rooms that I personally painted. (kitchen uppers are Advance...brushed...with no issues) This was all applied a year ago when I refreshed from the original sprayed finishes from 2003.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post

Is this true?
    when you buy it, tell them it is for metal painting. Then they'll sell it to you.

Thanks all. Your responses have been very helpful to this paint-newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by mike waters View Post
    when you buy it, tell them it is for metal painting. Then they'll sell it to you.
    Crazy as it sounds this is true (for Satin Impervo Alkyd). At least locally.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius