Long time no post. So I have this small project I am working on and I need some feedback.

I'm covering our patio and trimming out the existing small covered portion to match. There have been some challenges along the way but its coming together nicely. It's all post and beam timber framed (almost all). Very uncommon around here these days. It's mostly rough sawn douglas fir (16+ hr round trip to the douglas fir store for me) and some cedar tongue and grove.

I have the big stuff done finally and a couple new tools to my collection including a 2" timber framing chisel that is almost as long as my arm . Now I am on to the trim work. There are a couple things I need to do here. The posts where ground contacting the way we chose to do it, so I had to use pressure treated 6x6s. I plan to wrap these in rough sawn fir. I also have two LVL beams to wrap. One existing on old patio and one new because the span would have required a solid beam of much larger size. My question is really how best to wrap them. This is outside exposed to the environment. The wood (trim boards) is all kiln dried and it will eventually have some sort of top coat on it once it's done. But depending on weather that may not happen till spring.

That said I have what I think are 3 options for wrapping. See my crude drawing of wraps. This would be looking down the post from above. Obviously a beam would be minus one side. I would use biscuits or dominos for the joints for alignment and tite bond 3. At least one side would have to have brads in order to get it around the post. These do not have to fit the posts tight.

My personal preference would be A. Miter the edges then take a burnishing rod and run it up and down to stick with the rough cut look (no sharp edges).

However, I don't know how seasonal wood movement might affect this and if I'd be doing a lot of work that could potentially fail. Looking for feedback here before I spend a lot of time doing something that may not work out.

IMG_5439.jpgIMG_5440.jpgIMG_5442.jpg