Thread: Another Incra Miter Gauge Question?

Another Incra Miter Gauge Question?

I have done a few searches to find an answer to my question but it is still unclear to me. I am considering purchasing an Incra miter gauge. I have always used an auxiliary fence with my current basic miter gauge to prevent blowout at the back of the cut. Is the Incra designed so the metal is the backing surface to prevent this. When I see the Incras pictured they typically don’t have any wood attached. Do people actually use them without a wood sacrificial fence? I see the company has a few iterations of the jig. Is there one that has the 1º increments but allows for a simple screw-on wooden fence without the built-in moveable fence features. I have seen pics posted by forum members with fancy wooden extendable fence attachments. I don’t really need the settable fence stop features, just an accurate base with screw holes for the wood fence for angled cuts. Is this something that is available…. am I missing something and would no longer need a wooden fence. Oh…. by the way I have a Sawstop and have seen the posts regarding accidental trips. Thanks guys.

You can use an auxiliary wooden fence with all the Incra Miter Gauges. I pretty much always use them on my V27. I have the 1000HD that I've used one on, but I generally don't bother and I get pretty good results with it.

I have a 1000SE (stops @ 5° intervals, aluminum fence). The fence has t-tracks on front & rear faces. For most cuts, I loosen the head-to-fence screws and shift the fence laterally so there is <1/16" clearance. For cuts where I am particularly concerned about blow-out, I attach a 1/4" piece of mdf to the front of the fence with a couple of short flat-head bolts & nuts that fit in the t-track.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Blog Entries
    As stated, it is easy to apply a sac-fence. I use sacrificial "flags" that insert into the end of the extrusion. I have them for various angles and bevels. One screw in an existing hole lets me swap them. They set in a drawer of the unit I made to go under the right side outfeed area of the saw.

V-27 Mods (5).jpg . V-27 Mods (4).jpg

Incra v-27 mod (2).jpg . Incra v-27 mod (1).jpg

You can see I also applied sand paper to the face of the extrusion. My grip isn't what it once was and this improves my control, and therefor my result, considerably. As for quality, I have had this gauge since 2003 and it continues to perform flawlessly.

Larry Frame (14).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-24-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I also use a sacrifical wood fence. You have to countersink holes for the t bolts. This is a slight pain because the holes have to line up perfectly with the t slots. However, it is easy. The nice thing is that it allows the fence to slide so you can reposition it for different angled cuts.

The other nice thing is that you can reposition the flip stop sonit fits over the sac fence.

Mark

No, the aluminum is not the sacrificial material. the fence(s) can easily accommodate a sacrificial fence. If you use an Incra Stop, you just have to make sure it's not too thick, or the Stop won't fit.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Ok great thanks guys I think I have the idea now I appreciate the help!

Glenn B: thanks for the idea and the pictures.

A subfence also allows for zero clearance and makes it easy to line up the cut