Thread: Can Shellac

Can Shellac

Maybe someone can help me with this. I was shocked to read "Do Not Thin" on the Zinser Bullseye Clear Shellac label. I've never known a shellac that couldn't be thinned. I'd think the ability to be thinned is a general characteristic of shellac. Anyone have experiece thinning this brand with denatured alcohol?

I've never had any issues thinning it; in fact, I never use it w/o thinning. I suspect that wording is there to comply with VOC limits.

JOhn

Ah, good! I'm glad there is no such material limitation. Now that you mention it, it seems likely the directive comes from VOC emission limits.

I've never needed to further the Sealcoat product...it sprays beautifully "out of the can", but the waxed Zinsser products are a little thicker cut. I see zero reason why reducing the cut for application reasons would compromise the shellac. This may be one of those standard disclaimers that are there for reasons that might make us go, "huh?"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtis Johnson View Post
    Maybe someone can help me with this. I was shocked to read "Do Not Thin" on the Zinser Bullseye Clear Shellac label. I've never known a shellac that couldn't be thinned. I'd think the ability to be thinned is a general characteristic of shellac. Anyone have experiece thinning this brand with denatured alcohol?
    The same instruction is on the shellac sanding sealer. I often thin it (with DNA) anyway for the first coat for chip carving and turning. I have seen no issues with thinning. I just figured shellac was shellac and sanding sealer was thinned shellac anyway.

Maybe they don't want you to thin the shellac so you will buy the can of sanding sealer.

JKJ

I've got to wonder if it's to prevent the uninformed from diluting with water, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, or something else....

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I've got to wonder if it's to prevent the uninformed from diluting with water, mineral spirits, lacquer thinner, or something else....
    Yea, that's kinda what I was eluding to...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I thin with DNA all the time....That is the nature of shellac...Easily thinned and repaired.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    I thin with DNA all the time....That is the nature of shellac...Easily thinned and repaired.
    Some of us can read too much into a post. I wondered how you got your DNA into your shellac. Bled into the can or some other body fluid? Woodworking can be a passion, but gee...

In time I realized "DNA" is also an abbreviation for "denatured alcohol".

Quote Originally Posted by David Kenagy View Post
    Some of us can read too much into a post. I wondered how you got your DNA into your shellac. Bled into the can or some other body fluid? Woodworking can be a passion, but gee...

In time I realized "DNA" is also an abbreviation for "denatured alcohol".
    A couple of woodturning students here on break from vet school asked why I had DNA in a plastic squeeze bottle.

JKJ

John above has a good method....I usually measure and blend into the can .....Or separate container with both parts measured before blending...Mixing not big deal but the proportions must be right...
    Jerry