Thread: Is woodturning really competitive?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Harold

As a non turner, (I do own a lathe and do know how to use it. I just have no interest in turning as the form.) Maybe I can offer some slightly objective answers

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    Warning: This is a philosophical thread....

There have been a few times I've been approached at shows and told "I used a lathe in high school and made stuff like this..."

I turned bowls, platters, and columns, in school also, but I know that it was okay for a teenager.I wasn't making anything close to what I have seen on this forum and at shows.

I've read forums where people have pretty powerful opinions on how to do things but have never shown a photo of their own work.... That always makes me a little skeptical....

The proof is in the work. If it's good, it's good. I am always a bit skeptical also.

And I sometimes look at pictures of turnings and think "I wonder how they did that? ... Could I do something like that? Maybe I could do it better if I did this....."

This is healthy and not one thing wrong with it. There are folks here on the board doing "flatwork" that just amazes me, and which pushes me me to be more exact with this craft and pay attention to detail. Trying to emulate people's work, like the late Mark Singer's, has made me a much better craftsman. I look at projects I did 25 years ago, and what I can do today, and it's a little embarrassing.

And that's the thought that gets to me... what is "better" when it comes to wood turning? Do you compare your work to other people's? Do you look at some work and think "meh, I could do that... it's not that hard..."

To do anything well, is hard. I always approach something new as a learning experience. I may say that doesn't look that difficult, let me try it and teach myself.

It took me a long while to (mostly) get over comparing my stuff to other people's work. I did this a lot when I first started many years ago. But once I gave up "competing" with others in my own mind, my enjoyment actually increased. And I'm pretty sure my end results improved as well.

I don't believe I am competing with people. At least I hope not. I do however "compete" to see if I can learn their techniques and incorporate them into my own work.

I wonder if anyone else has thought about this? Do others view this hobby/career as "competitive" and does it affect the way you work? Do the production turners in the forum feel pressure to "beat" the other guys? (Whatever that means). Are you ever driven to "one up" something you see from another turner?

There is a certain amount of ego involved in all aspects of woodworking. It makes us all better as long as it used in a healthy manner.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 09-24-2017 at 2:54 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)