Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New workshop...electrical questions

Blog Entries

New workshop...electrical questions

Not sure this is the proper subforum, but I have a new workshop being built with delivery date 4-6 weeks out.
    My question is: my son-in-law, a licenced electrician wired my g0766 by running 2 110s and replacing the plug on the lathe. Runs just fine, but my new shop will have a 220 dust collector, as well, and i'm wondering if it would be worth the expense of having the utility co. run 220 from the pole to the house.
    I read somewhere that using 2 110s uses more electricity and may also affect the performance of 220 units.
    What would you recomend? The power pole is about 60' from the house. Thanks. Bill

I think you're having trouble with the terminology.

You already have 220v at your house. Everyone does unless they live in a mobile home powered by an extension cord from their parents' house. Basically how it works is that your breaker box get two legs, each 110v. If you use one leg only for a circuit, it's a 110v circuit. If you use both legs (with a double/two-pole breaker) it's 220v.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    I think you're having trouble with the terminology.

You already have 220v at your house. Everyone does unless they live in a mobile home powered by an extension cord from their parents' house. Basically how it works is that your breaker box get two legs, each 110v. If you use one leg only for a circuit, it's a 110v circuit. If you use both legs (with a double/two-pole breaker) it's 220v.
    +1

Right on the money with this

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Not sure this is the proper subforum, but I have a new workshop being built with delivery date 4-6 weeks out.
    My question is: my son-in-law, a licenced electrician wired my g0766 by running 2 110s and replacing the plug on the lathe. Runs just fine, but my new shop will have a 220 dust collector, as well, and i'm wondering if it would be worth the expense of having the utility co. run 220 from the pole to the house.
    I read somewhere that using 2 110s uses more electricity and may also affect the performance of 220 units.
    What would you recomend? The power pole is about 60' from the house. Thanks. Bill
    I agree with the comments of the previous posters.

But I'm wondering if you are describing the undesirable situation where your SIL either has two 110 wires coming from the wall going to a single plug?.
    Or I'm wondering if your SIL has two 110 circuits - - each with its own 110 breaker.
    Or two 110 cables from the breaker box to the receptacle.
    Neither of the three above scenarios is recommended or per code.

Is this what you are describing with your post ?

240 uses half the amps of 120 for equal power. this allows use of smaller wire and breakers. Are you saying he is pulling 120 from two separate outlets and tieing it together at the saw?
    Bill

Blog Entries
    I don't know the answers to the questions regarding how my sil intends to wire it, but I just had a guy come out and look the place over where I'll be setting the 12x20 portable garage. It will not be used to store a car or truck, simply a workshop.
    Just heard back from him and he wants $1800 to build a compacted gravel pad. Way beyond what I was expecting.
    Would like your responses on that price. The ground is level from end to end but will need a few inches side to side that can be done by simply scraping it from side to side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    ...I just had a guy come out and look the place over where I'll be setting the 12x20 portable garage. It will not be used to store a car or truck, simply a workshop.
    Just heard back from him and he wants $1800 to build a compacted gravel pad. Way beyond what I was expecting.
    Would like your responses on that price. The ground is level from end to end but will need a few inches side to side that can be done by simply scraping it from side to side.
    I've built a number of compacted pads, both dirt and gravel, here at my farm - up to 35x75, a few for 8x40 storage buildings, the latest a few months ago for a little 10x20 portable building. I don't know anything about the cost since I do this with my own bobcat and tractor, but it does take a bit of time and effort. (It took me months to make the big pad but I had a significant amount of fill on one corner which requires special care with small equipment like mine.) To hire the job there is equipment transportation to your site, cutting away the topsoil and any grass and doing something with it, leveling, compacting the dirt, hauling in gravel, spreading, compacting the gravel, and re-leveling and smoothing as needed.

A little pad like you need is pretty simple but you still don't want it to settle or your portable building may warp. (If this is for a shop it is likely to have a lot of weight inside!) Also, be SURE the drainage is handled properly to direct water away from the pad or parts of your pad may wash away, especially since you said there is a bit of a slope, or at minimum stay sopping wet which is not good for the building. Drainage usually requires cutting back even further - I usually just slope the ground and cut a shallow ditch to bring the water around both sides but it can get more involved.

To get an idea of the cost maybe call some other contractors and see what they charge per hour for the equipment and for any haul/setup time, figure the cost of gravel based on the size and thickness of the pad, and guess at the number of work hours. You may also want to get estimates/bids from more than one person.

Note: I am NOT a contractor nor do I have professional experience. I just do this for myself to suit myself and mostly for fun so consider what I say appropriately. As an inspector back in the '70s I did hang out at a lot of building sites so I have a little idea how things should be done, or at least how they were done then!

JKJ

For a shop that size you don't need a separate service.

A 60-100A subpanel will suffice.

Put the DC on a dedicated circuit.

I also suggest two separate 110 circuits if you plan to use a shop vac to collect a router, etc.

your power question makes no sense. Do you currently have electricity at shop but not the house?
    Bill

If your SIL is an experienced electrician, he should know how to properly wire a 240v receptacle. He should also know how to wire and install a sub panel to your new workshop. Your local inspector can be a great source for information as to what he or she requires for the sub panel feed and connecting loads. On every job I have run, the first thing I do is call the local electrical inspector to make sure we are on the same page.

The National Electric Code (NEC) is what most municipalities use for their local electrical code requirements. But some municipalities make changes and some inspectors have their own interpretation of the NEC. That's why it's a good idea to involve your building inspector(s) from the start. While answers provided on this forum may be correct, it's possible they may be incorrect for your municipality due to the reasons given above.

You have a licensed electrician and access to your building inspector. Let them answer your questions and you won't have problems later.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Most pad prep quotes I got on my place were around $1500. Id say that at least comparable to mine but does not mean I was not taken either It was built into my concrete quote. Those guys did several other jobs to help me - lay out moisture barrier and lay and tyvek tape foam boards, help run and tie ~2700' of radant heat floor pex - I was glad to pay them what they asked at the end. Saved my back and a ton of time.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Blog Entries
    My SIL is a very highly skilled residential and Comercial licensed electrician. His jobs are mostly in manufacturing and meat processing plants. Not only is he one of their best men but he also at times is given a management position with a number of Comercial electricians and a number of apprentices in his charge.
    I'm the one who is totally lost. I just could not understand how he ran 110 to my garage and wired my 220 g0766 to run with it.
    When I get the new shop I intend to add a 220 dust collector.
    He bought a larger panel/box for the house and plans to use the old box it the workshop.

The collector I intend to get is 5hp, but I read somewhere that without running 220 from the utility pole, a 5 hp motor will not make 5hp.
    Was this bad information?
    If so, is my 0766 making 3hp?
    He says it will all be fine, so I just leave that all up to him. I'll mention contacting the inspector and let him decide if he wants him involved from the start.

I want to thank all of you for your advise and encouragement. It should all start to come together in 4 or 5 weeks, er...that is...if my SIL can find the time. He works lots of hours and that leaves him with little time for my daughter and grandkids. I don't want to rob them of his time. So i'll just let him work it in at his convenience. Bill

Blog Entries
    Forgot to mention I have 4 guys showing up this weekend and next week to give estimates on the compacted gravel pad.
    Meanwhile I can get started on it a little at a time.
    With a bad knee, hip and both shoulders I have to take it kinda easy.
    I should have the ground sufficiently level by the time I hire a contractor.

Bill how is the project going? Have they delivered a set the building? What did your SIL do about the AC?
    and the compacting of gravel for the building?

Blog Entries
    I called the Amish shop where it's supposed to be built. According to the guy I talked to they are very busy and have not even started on mine.